Stick-on readers for masks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gave up with stick ons, just use Tusa Ceos mask with bifocal lenses. The cost of the 2 lenses is about the same as two sets of stick ons

Gave up with stick ons, just use Tusa Ceos mask with bifocal lenses. The cost of the 2 lenses is about the same as two sets of stick ons
My wife just got the Ceos mask and we put the reader lenses in it. It is a very nice mask. At first I thought the view would be too cramped in the ceos with the readers, but once it’s on your face the lenses are so close to your eyes, it’s not an issue at all. Great field of view and the readers are placed well. The ceos also uses Tusa’s freedom skirt design, which I feel is among the best skirts available.

I dive with a big Tusa freedom HD with the glue-in lenses. I just personally like a big window and don’t mind the larger airspace with equalizing and clearing. I have a larger nose and big eyebrow ridge, so the big mask is more comfortable on long dives for me. Again the freedom skirt seals really really well.

Tried the stick ons, Gave a few days before using. Tried them in a pool. One came loose relatively quickly.
XS Scuba makes a gauge reader in +1.5. Clarity and magnification was fine, but I had to return it as it wouldn't seal properly and leaked like hell. Could be my head, but I don't believe so, as my wife's mask worked fine for me, but isn't a magnifier.
Somebody mentioned, to me, that he got a Promate mask, for his son, that worked well.

I say don't waste your time with stick ons. They always fail. I sent my masks the See the Sea RX and had them install quality lenses. Both sets are at least 7 years old and 100s of dives with no problems. If I need to change my rx (right no its just a reader rx) then they can easily remove and replace if my mask is still in good shape.

I've been using this setup for about 7 years. +2.5 at the bottom for gauges and really small things. +1.5 for mid distance above and uncorrected for distance. For reference I use +2.75 on dry land for reading.

IMG_2020a.jpg

I had my local dive shop coordinate the installation of prescription lenses into my mask. I have used a ScubaPro mask (Frameless Black Silicone Mask), which is perfect. Not all masks can accept prescription lenses. They can do a split prescription too, so you can get a bifocal effect, or just a corrected upper with no correction below. This also allows correction for astigmatism, which cannot be obtained from retail products. It's nice to have a distance correction on the top, and a close up correction on the bottom, which makes it easy to read gauges or adjust camera settings. I've been doing this for the last 15 years, you do need to redo if your prescription changes. But it is SO worth it, for easy of use and safety as well.

The ones I had the most luck with were DiveOptx brand in the orange box. They go up to 3.0. They did not use adhesive but once in place they stayed put for a long time without much in the way of special handling.

The ones I had the most luck with were DiveOptx brand in the orange box. They go up to 3.0. They did not use adhesive but once in place they stayed put for a long time without much in the way of special handling.
You got me thinking - My pair of DiveOptx have to be more than 10 yrs old. One's in my primary mask and one's in my backup. I've gotten new masks in that time frame so the magnifiers have been removed and reused too. I've never had a problem with them falling out.

I use Trident glass diopters. Do not use the included adhesive but use clear silicone or UV cured optics adhesives instead.
I have thought about doing this. Do you think that the UV adhesive used for repairing windshield cracks would work?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom