Readers Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for future reference..these places where you can send your mask off to for script lenses that i see linked above, do they stick on a lens or do they actually replace the glass with a real shaped lens?

(I see that they sell masks too, but how in the world would you ever be able to see if it seals against your face??)

Back when I was an active diver I had significantly better than 20/20 vision and could see up close like a microscope. Not so anymore and need the over the counter readers. I've had terrible luck with using stick on things in sunglasses so I'm going to have to look into this if I get back into it!

Funny, I remember back in the day folks talking about the magnifying affect of the water so most folks didn't need prescription masks...but then I wasn't paying close attention....
Prescription Dive Masks use glass reader inserts which they “weld” to your mask. Seavision have readers ground into the glass but are limited to +2.0 only.

so basically they are just stick-on...but professionally done.
still....probably worth it!

Not quite. “Stick ons” are flimsy plastic. PDM use actual optical grade glass which is then welded in place.

Thanks for that. I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. I need him to be able to test in the time frame that I have to return things.

Do you think the DGX mask will inhibit viewing forward at all?
I think I'll like the DGX mask if it doesn't leak. While I tend to like clear skirts, the DGX lenses sit close enough to my eyes that there isn't much black in my peripheral view. I also like that the DGX cheater lenses are bigger than the Trident ones without being obtrusive.

That's why I'm planning to add a few dots of clear silicone adhesive to each lens to hold them in place.
I’ve used the Trident bi-focals 2.0 for years. If one doesn’t wear glasses (I don’t) one only needs the bi-focal in the lens their gauges are on. Not many know this, and because they come in 2’s, you have a spare. Regardless also use clear optic glue, $2.95/bottle from Trident or House of Scuba, San Diego, which cool water doesn’t affect but hot water loosens. Much cheaper than the lab route and allows you to move bi-focal if you find a better mask. Best of luck.

Piranha has a couple different prescription masks.

Piranha has a couple different prescription masks.

That's awesome. Thank you... I try to support Randy whenever I can

Both the Trident stick-ons and DGX masks worked well.

I put the Trident lenses on following instructions. I let them dry for ~48 hours, then applied 4 dabs of Loctite silicone to each lens. The lenses are smaller than the DGX mask, but worked fine reading my dive computer.

The DGX mask is quite nice. It performed similarly to my SP Crystal mask—largely leak free except occasionally when my head/body got into a weird position and some water got in. I followed the DGX instructions—no scrubbing just a little defog and the mask was fog-free. I do like the larger reader lenses in the DGX. Long distance visibility was good and unaffected by the reader lenses.

I’m currently debating sending ours in for prescriptions, both of us have mild reader scripts but find without them it’s getting hard to see.
any advice on a good site to send them to?
Still shopping? Check out my SeaVision and SCUBAPRO gauge reader masks in classifieds. Thanks, DiverYohand

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom