Readers Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So my father is showing a little more interest in diving. He said his biggest issue (besides the cold, lol) is that he can't read the gauge. His go to readers are 2.5, but do I need to allow for underwater magnification?

I believe my best bet would be to get a DGX mask with them already installed? Since they only offer 2.0 or 3.0 what would be better?

I am nearsighted (and just wear contacts when diving), he is farsighted.. so I don't really understand readers.

Thanks!
I got a set of Trident reader lenses to install in my Scubapro Crystal mask. I have heard mixed reviews, but supposedly if you follow the instructions carefully (eg don't touch the mask for a few days after installing the lenses) AND apply a dab of clear silicone, they will stay in place. I haven't gotten a chance to use them yet, but I will this weekend.

Just to have a contingency (I definitely need readers for my dive computer), I ordered a DGX mask with readers. It is due to be delivered tomorrow. The DGX has great reviews, but I'm a bit concerned about leaks. DGX has a good return policy, however, so I'm taking both to the pool this weekend to see whether one or both will come with me to French Polynesia in May.

I normally use 1.75, but I can use 2x without issue. From what I can tell, the magnifying effects of water don't seem to help gauge reading, so stick close to what works on dry land.

Got the Trident lenses installed and they are drying. The DGX mask arrived today and I’m quite impressed. I’ll post my results in the pool this weekend.
Thanks for that. I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. I need him to be able to test in the time frame that I have to return things.

Do you think the DGX mask will inhibit viewing forward at all?

dx-401400_1_3.jpg

Ok see these particularly shaped lenses

They are available from various retailers Tusa, Scubapro, and a few more, at ALL + and - diopters

I'm up to +1.5 almost at +2 no gauge readers for me aged eyes we'll see what happens after lasic

So this lens fit ALL masks with this shape

As I have tested, almost most all of them

Thanks for that. I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. I need him to be able to test in the time frame that I have to return things.

Do you think the DGX mask will inhibit viewing forward at all?
Have been using one for few yrs. No it won't inhibit viewing forward.

You have to decide if it will securely attach to the mask especially during mask clearing.
Wouldn't hurt to give a shot. I wonder how "sticky" they are... good option, thanks!

You have to decide if it will securely attach to the mask especially during mask clearing.
Wouldn't hurt to give a shot. I wonder how "sticky" they are... good option, thanks!
Hydrotac only has 1.25.. weird.

These are 2.50; Same idea

I have lost few of them, they just washed away. I followed the instructions and let them dry in the mask for days but still lost them.

I use the scubapro “D” mask it costs more but the lenses are readily available right from SP and easy (ish) to change. I got tired of head tilting to see stuff with readers so I just put in + 1.5

I started to use the Scubapro D mask myself earlier this year with the +2.0 lenses (wide skirt) and they are the best.

Scubapro D-Mask

Back
Top Bottom