Mask options for reading distance and middle distance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIHappyDiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am curious if anyone has their mask lenses set up for reading/middle/distant viewing? I am currently using a gauge reader XS Scuba mask, and have for almost 5 years. I never liked the slant of the readers, always felt like I was straining muscles to see, but I also have never liked that I’m not seeing the middle stuff well. Trying to look at things in sponges, for example, has always been a little frustrating. I’m not sure if it’s due to the steepness of the slant, or that they are too strong for that distance.

So, here is what I’m wanting feedback on. I’m toying with getting a DGX reader mask with a +2 on the right eye, because that’s the arm with the computer, and a +1 on the left for the mid stuff. Firstly, does anyone have experience with DGX reader masks? Secondly, has anyone tried this type of setup? Is it too much to get used to?

I have also seen masks with double reading lenses, reading and distance added to a mask in a stack, on See The Sea’s website. I would imagine that other RX mask companies do similar. Anyone with experience on that front?

As always, thanks for any feedback,
Erik

I am curious if anyone has their mask lenses set up for reading/middle/distant viewing? I am currently using a gauge reader XS Scuba mask, and have for almost 5 years. I never liked the slant of the readers, always felt like I was straining muscles to see, but I also have never liked that I’m not seeing the middle stuff well. Trying to look at things in sponges, for example, has always been a little frustrating. I’m not sure if it’s due to the steepness of the slant, or that they are too strong for that distance.

So, here is what I’m wanting feedback on. I’m toying with getting a DGX reader mask with a +2 on the right eye, because that’s the arm with the computer, and a +1 on the left for the mid stuff. Firstly, does anyone have experience with DGX reader masks? Secondly, has anyone tried this type of setup? Is it too much to get used to?

I have also seen masks with double reading lenses, reading and distance added to a mask in a stack, on See The Sea’s website. I would imagine that other RX mask companies do similar. Anyone with experience on that front?

As always, thanks for any feedback,
Erik

Why don't you discuss it with your ophthalmologist and the optician that works on diving masks? I am sure that they will both give you a more accurate information.

Many opticians and eye glass stores will make custom lenses to put permanently in your mask and made to your prescription needs. When I lived in KC, it was about $125 all in to have done and people that did it really liked the way it worked out. Good luck!

@BoltSnap, this is just in the info gathering stage. I have my annual eye exam next month, and plan on discussing it with him before making a move on anything. Thanks for the advice, though.

@BoltSnap, this is just in the info gathering stage. I have my annual eye exam next month, and plan on discussing it with him before making a move on anything. Thanks for the advice, though.

Check also with the optician that works on prescription for diving masks, they will have valuable experience. I believe that one of the most experienced opticians that works on diving masks is on SB. (I can't remember his handle now).

I only use it to read my dc.
Gauge reader is NOT for distant viewing. You really need to tilt your head backward to look through it, not practical for scuba diving.
No one use magnifying lens to view distant object. The object will turn upside down and demagnified(smaller) as well.

This is what I use.

IMG_2020a.jpg

The top lenses for mid distance are +1.5 diopter and the lower lenses for close up are +2.5.
For reference I need a +2.75 correction for reading on dry land. The +1.5 covers a pretty large range of mid distance underwater.
This system works very well for me.

Yes! The Executive Trifocal that they are showing is a good example of what I’m talking about, except no distance, I just need that as non prescription. I can’t imagine that they couldn’t do that. I’ll put them on the list to contact.
They didn’t come up with my original search, so thank you.

This is what I use.

View attachment 747947

The top lenses for mid distance are +1.5 diopter and the lower lenses for close up are +2.5.
For reference I need a +2.75 correction for reading on dry land. The +1.5 covers a pretty large range of mid distance underwater.
This system works very well for me.
That is very similar to what See The Sea was showing. I think you showed these on another thread and said they were DIY, correct? If so, what manufacturer are you using? If not, where did you order the mask from?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom