contacts AND readers question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

woodchips

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am slightly nearsighted PADI AOW with a prescription of R -1.25, L -1.5, and have aged some over the years. I have not ever lost a lens, use dailies and toss them after the day of diving is done and am beginning to have some trouble reading my gauges while diving.
I just had my eyes checked and the Near Add is R+1.75 L+1.75.
Does anyone dive using single corrective lenses and add readers to their masks? if so, what math do I use to order some? The way I see it - two options
math brain L-1.5 + L+1.75 = +0.25,
or intuitive brain 1.5 + 1.75 = 3.25
Anybody try this?
I was given a set of progressive lenses for my prescription from my optometrist and dislike them - the compromise to all three of my visual distances is greater than I'd like.
Also, I've heard some people only install one reader lens on the left side to keep the field view less distracting and can still read their gauges. Good idea? Bad idea? Why?
0 comments

I am slightly nearsighted PADI AOW with a prescription of R -1.25, L -1.5, and have aged some over the years. I have not ever lost a lens, use dailies and toss them after the day of diving is done and am beginning to have some trouble reading my gauges while diving.
I just had my eyes checked and the Near Add is R+1.75 L+1.75.
Does anyone dive using single corrective lenses and add readers to their masks? if so, what math do I use to order some? The way I see it - two options
math brain L-1.5 + L+1.75 = +0.25,
or intuitive brain 1.5 + 1.75 = 3.25
Anybody try this?
I was given a set of progressive lenses for my prescription from my optometrist and dislike them - the compromise to all three of my visual distances is greater than I'd like.
Also, I've heard some people only install one reader lens on the left side to keep the field view less distracting and can still read their gauges. Good idea? Bad idea? Why?
0 comments
I have never dove without contacts and started in 1985. I have done it with far vision, with one reader lense, with two readers and now with a contact for reading and a contact for far vision It all works.

I have never dove without contacts and started in 1985. I have done it with far vision, with one reader lense, with two readers and now with a contact for reading and a contact for far vision It all works.
but how did you determine what reader to get?

I've done the one contact in, which works great. The brain makes sense of it somehow with sharp near and far. No depth perception issues. (I wear the contact with the strongest prescription.)

I don't have a strongly dominant eye, though, which may contribute to the success.

Pretty easy to try.

I've done the one contact in, which works great. The brain makes sense of it somehow with sharp near and far. No depth perception issues. (I wear the contact with the strongest prescription.)

I don't have a strongly dominant eye, though, which may contribute to the success.

Pretty easy to try.
that would be easy to try! Thanks!!!

I dive with contacts that are slightly lower power than the contacts I use on land. This compromise enables me to read my gauges while only impairing my very distant vision. There is nothing 50+ feet away underwater that I could conceivably need to see with laser-beam sharpness.

I wear reader contacts for one eye and a middle distance for the other. No need to see far underwater and the middle distance is good enough to find the boat on the surface.

but how did you determine what reader to get?
You won't need as much underwater. So maybe if you would use a +2 try a +1.5. That really just involves how close you want to hold the gauges.

I use multi focal contacts, they are "bi focal" contacts. The left one is geared more towards close up to read my computer and the right one is geared more towards distance. I get monthly contacts, so I leave them in for the whole week while on vacation. I have been using them for 23 years and have never had a problem. Go to your local optometrist and test different strengths out to see which ones work for you. I also had to try a couple of different brands to get the proper fit for my eyes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom