Corrosion on HP Hose - Sign of mishandling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Either the tank valve has had water in it, and/or the dust cap is wet when fitted, and/or it has been socked and the dust cap was not sealing, and/or it has been dropped in the water without the dust cap on.

Given the state of the filter I agree with @TBone. you need a rebuild. But you also need to understand what/how it is contaminated so that you can avoid the issue in the future. 6 months and 25 dives is not a good service life.

It also could have happened from a wet fill. Was this regulator used on rental tanks or on a dive charter?

It's hard to see the filter color clearly, but it looks a little green. Not terrible, IMO. I've seen worse on my own regs after one crappy fill from a rental tank in the caribbean. But, there's enough there so that if it were mine, I'd take it apart and clean everything up. That's essentially a rebuild because on most regs it's best to replace the HP seat when it's removed and re-installed. I'm sure the o-rings are fine if they were replaced 6 months ago, but most shops will simply replace them all when the reg is dismantled regardless of when the last rebuild was.

Is that a braided hose? There have been some reports of blockage on those lately; the plastic part deteriorates, comes apart, and enters the airstream. On a HP hose I guess this is much less likely to happen given the tiny air path, but I would just avoid braided hoses altogether.

Either the tank valve has had water in it, and/or the dust cap is wet when fitted, and/or it has been socked and the dust cap was not sealing, and/or it has been dropped in the water without the dust cap on.

Given the state of the filter I agree with @TBone. you need a rebuild. But you also need to understand what/how it is contaminated so that you can avoid the issue in the future. 6 months and 25 dives is not a good service life.

Yeah, most likely either one of those. Although no performance degradation, I need to understand how this happened.

It also could have happened from a wet fill. Was this regulator used on rental tanks or on a dive charter?

It's hard to see the filter color clearly, but it looks a little green. Not terrible, IMO. I've seen worse on my own regs after one crappy fill from a rental tank in the caribbean. But, there's enough there so that if it were mine, I'd take it apart and clean everything up. That's essentially a rebuild because on most regs it's best to replace the HP seat when it's removed and re-installed. I'm sure the o-rings are fine if they were replaced 6 months ago, but most shops will simply replace them all when the reg is dismantled regardless of when the last rebuild was.

Is that a braided hose? There have been some reports of blockage on those lately; the plastic part deteriorates, comes apart, and enters the airstream. On a HP hose I guess this is much less likely to happen given the tiny air path, but I would just avoid braided hoses altogether.

the color is brownish with little green. It's used with rental tank all the time (all trips involve flying). yeah, put a braided hose after the original SP hose gave up just exactly 1 yr 1 mo. but i'm switching back to rubber hose soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom