Corsair's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
As many of you know, Corsair and his wife Lynette (known as SeaWolf here) have tried twice to dive in the gulf. And this past weekend was to be the third attempt. And I was even going along as a "Good Luck Charm".

Well, I guess they forgot to rub my foot or something. Right as I arrived at our meeting point, BJ was on the phone with the shop (Oceans Window in San Antonio) and was notified that there were 5-foot seas in the area where we were to dive and the boat captain was calling off the trip.

So this makes THREE times that Corsiar attempted to dive the Gulf that have not made it!

Since we were all packed up and wanting to get out of town, we went ahead and headed for Austin and dove on Lake Travis. Had a good time, did 5 dives over 2 days (most of them pretty deep) and found some interesting bits of treasure. (Corsair found the coolest thing of all and I'll let him tell about it).

I'll post a more complete dive report later.

--TexasMike

PS to Tom Vyles: We used the trip as a scouting expidtion to the Travis trip you wanted to plan. I'll get with you to share the information soon. --TM

Sorry to hear it. Corsair has sure had a helluva go of it with the Flower Gardens. You know, on my trip to Belize, someone actually asked me about the Flower Gardens and I told them I had never been there. I then told them of Corsair's quest for the Flower Garden adventure. Maybe he will conquer it next time. I'm glad to hear you were able to salvage your dive plans. BTW The wife and I were thinking about heading down to Lake Travis with some friends to check it out before too very long. How was the diving? Where on the lake did you all go? Where did you fill your tanks? Fill me in on the details. Maybe we can all meet down there for a dive sometime in the not too distant future. It seems like I recall Dee(I think it was Dee) posting about trying to organize a meet and greet dive on Lake Travis sometime. The wife and I would be interested in something like that.

TexasMike,
Where did you dive at Lake Travis? I was at Barstows with my Divemaster class on Saturday evening/night.
RonC.

I guess we'd still be interested...even if it was you, Tom. :D.. I'll watch the boards for more info.. Sounds like fun.

I finally made it out to the Gardens on my 13th try! But it was worth it...flat seas, 2 whales sharks and several really large Eagle Rays.

Keep trying!

Ron C.

Mostly we dove off of the Mansfield Dam area. They have a nice setup as far as parking and water entry. We did do one dive off of Windy Point, but entry into the water was more difficult due to the higher winds/waves, and very rocky bottom.

The dam area has more to look at, more fish, and a cool wall/ledge to investigate.

Corsair and I did find several interesting items we want to recover that require lift bags. We've marked the depth and location on our slates so we can find them next time.

'Twas terribly frustrating, walking up to the hubby and hearing the words "Guess what..." Ah well, perhaps we'll get to see blue water on our Key West trip in November (not fair! A whole year between salt water trips!) We did have fun in Travis, though, and I got to 91' feet which is about 30' deeper than I have ever gone (just had to wear every mm of neoprene I own!). Diving by the dam at Travis is great, but there is no place to fill right there. We had three tanks each as required by the dive boat we were supposed to be on and that made for plenty of diving without having to run to the nearest dive shop (which isn't that far away). Lot's of friendly fish and at the lower levels the vis was quite good.

BTW: Mike, I will absolutely NOT rub your foot for good luck!

I never took up Gulf! Seemed so silly chasing that stupid little ball all over the greens! Of course, I did go scuba dive for them twice. Yeppers... had me a ball!

Of course a good priest friend of mine says he gulfs in search of the "holyone"!!!

SeaWolf....

Awright....then can I rub yours???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom