cortison and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wendy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Is there any reason why I shouldn't be able to dive after receiving a cortison shot in the knee. Obviously it wouldn't be the same day.

Thanks

It should not be a problem with the actual cortisone acetate after the initial time spent waiting to see if there is an idiosyncratic reaction.

Since you are getting the injection in the knee is it intraorthotic or into a tendon? My concern is more about what is the reason for this treatment? Will diving aggravate the condition? Cortisone is a naturally occuring hormone but there are still some possible side effects. So wait out the time of the reaction normally in the office.

Typically no more than 3 injections are recommended in a year because of scarring and chance of tendon rupture.

If it is tendon related there are some other means of transporting the cortisone that can be done by an occupational therapist. The injection can be quite painful.

I have condramalasia patellum (sp?) wearing of cartlidge in my knees. I wear knee cap stablizing braces when i dive now, as I believe that my knee troubles occured due to the 100lbs of gear I wear walking thru the woods to cave dive. I took some time off of diving and my knees were great, i dive every weekend this summer and the knee is killing me again, and now the good knee is going bad, so i wear braces on both when i dive. I wanted to talk to the doc about the cortison shots as he had mentioned this last year when i was seeing him as treatment in lue of having surgery.

Wendy:
I have condramalasia patellum (sp?) wearing of cartlidge in my knees. I wear knee cap stablizing braces when i dive now, as I believe that my knee troubles occured due to the 100lbs of gear I wear walking thru the woods to cave dive. I took some time off of diving and my knees were great, i dive every weekend this summer and the knee is killing me again, and now the good knee is going bad, so i wear braces on both when i dive. I wanted to talk to the doc about the cortison shots as he had mentioned this last year when i was seeing him as treatment in lue of having surgery.

The cortisone will be a temporary relief for the inflamation and pain but in your case it is only pallative. It will not stop you from diving nor is it a cure. As far as the weight of the cylinders I switched to sidemount and carry one cylinder at a time to the water then get in and hook up the cylinders just as you would with a stage cylinder or O2 cylinder. I found this to be a great help to my knees and back and no more marks on the shoulders from the straps.

I assume you do not run or do any exercise that causes a pounding or compression or extension to 90 degrees to your knees. I would recommend trying swimming and sitting bicycling and switching to sidemount. Do you do any standing at work for a long time or climbing or descending stairs. The Chondromalacia patellae could get better with rest and physical therapy or E. Stim. Surgery could also be an option depending upon the amount and severity of degeneration. The cartilage could be shaved downand resmoothed to stop the catching and grinding that causes the pain.

This would be like a Zamboni smoothing ice. Seriously try the sidemount and see how it works for you.

jerrynuss:
The cortisone will be a temporary relief for the inflamation and pain but in your case it is only pallative. It will not stop you from diving nor is it a cure. As far as the weight of the cylinders I switched to sidemount and carry one cylinder at a time to the water then get in and hook up the cylinders just as you would with a stage cylinder or O2 cylinder. I found this to be a great help to my knees and back and no more marks on the shoulders from the straps.

I assume you do not run or do any exercise that causes a pounding or compression or extension to 90 degrees to your knees. I would recommend trying swimming and sitting bicycling and switching to sidemount. Do you do any standing at work for a long time or climbing or descending stairs. The Chondromalacia patellae could get better with rest and physical therapy or E. Stim. Surgery could also be an option depending upon the amount and severity of degeneration. The cartilage could be shaved downand resmoothed to stop the catching and grinding that causes the pain.

This would be like a Zamboni smoothing ice. Seriously try the sidemount and see how it works for you.

I am waiting as long as I can before having to go under the knife.

I don't want to dive sidemount. But thanks for the suggestion.

Good luck with the knees. What no interest in sidemount?

Today I went to the doc and insted of cortison shots he recommend Hyalgan (www.hyalgan.com) which comes in a series of 3 shots, one a week for 3 weeks. He wanted to try that and if it doesn't work, then do the cortison. Last resort being surgery.

Although the docs at DAN disagreed with me, I think the knee problem is a result of a combination between the modified kick position of my knees in cave diving and the 100+ pounds of gear I walk around in.

Wendy:
Today I went to the doc and instead of cortison shots he recommend Hyalgan (www.hyalgan.com) which comes in a series of 3 shots, one a week for 3 weeks. He wanted to try that and if it doesn't work, then do the cortison. Last resort being surgery.

Although the docs at DAN disagreed with me, I think the knee problem is a result of a combination between the modified kick position of my knees in cave diving and the 100+ pounds of gear I walk around in.

This may help your knee. I had to pull the PDR down for this one. Because I am not familiar with it. Basically it is like the synovial fluid in the joint. Are you taking any glucosamine?

Since you will go through a series of injections, is the physician going to add an anesthetic? I'm curious to see if this is painful and if so how long is the pain. So let me know.

Ask the physician but I believe you are supposed to stay off the knee for a couple of days after the injection, no running jumping, or lifting any weight.

Does the frog kick bother your knees?

jerrynuss:
This may help your knee. I had to pull the PDR down for this one. Because I am not familiar with it. Basically it is like the synovial fluid in the joint. Are you taking any glucosamine?

Since you will go through a series of injections, is the physician going to add an anesthetic? I'm curious to see if this is painful and if so how long is the pain. So let me know.

Ask the physician but I believe you are supposed to stay off the knee for a couple of days after the injection, no running jumping, or lifting any weight.

Does the frog kick bother your knees?

I am thining of taking glucosamine,the doc said it coudln't hurt.

He said they would numb me a little when they give the shot. They write me a script for it and the pharmacy will give me 3 pre-filled syringes. Sounds dangerous to me. lol He asked if I am on my feet at work and I told him I can sit or stand, but if I can't walk around, I'll roll around the building in a chair.

I will up date you when I get them. The first will be Oct 18th. After my dry caving vacation. :wink:

I went to the pharmacy to get that medicine/injections and after my insurence paid some the price was $455!!!!!

So I guess its just going to be painkillers and cortison for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom