Cost of annual service.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok barring some unknown factor..

That is an inflated price for sure. If you actually had someone do a real full blown service (full breakdown, ultrasonic cleaning, change "ALL" consumable parts, lube, assemble and then run the regs on a break in fixture and then retune after that and test on a flow bench) then might be worth it. Not many do that kind of work. And if done, you most probably don't need the service annually.

Reg service is a really crappy subject IMO. I do my own now due to many poor service experiences at premium prices.
That said, I personally don't see how anyone can make money doing real reg (like I stated above) service for $25 a stage if all of the above was done to the regs. IT is time consuming, but you essentially have a better than new reg when your done.

Then you have the annual fix/break a perfectly good reg set (just drop in a seat and dynamic oring and detune for the expected break in, who cares how it ends up breathing) life time free part service scenario, definitely not worth $180. That is the usual $25 per stage service deal.

High condo prices in Vancouver--someone's gotta pay them.

High condo prices in Vancouver--someone's gotta pay them.

That doesn't apply here. I am 4 hours from Vancouver.

No SPG. I have a ai computer on a hose and I did not have the computer attached. Just had my Sherwood regs that I brought from this shop.

Something is off here. Unless something has changed, the parts for Sherwoods are generally very inexpensive because the first and second stage use puck seats. I have seen parts kits sold for under $20 US for both the first and second stages.

I agree with ams; I buy kits for Conshelfs, multiple Scubapros, and Sherwoods. Sherwood parts have always been very reasonable, $12-$20. I'd be inspecting my invoice. I paid a shop something in that neighborhood for service once, went home and starting taking some regs apart to learn how to do it myself.

I agree with ams; I buy kits for Conshelfs, multiple Scubapros, and Sherwoods. Sherwood parts have always been very reasonable, $12-$20. I'd be inspecting my invoice. I paid a shop something in that neighborhood for service once, went home and starting taking some regs apart to learn how to do it myself.

I was surprised, with a little reading and pointers from some helpful and knowledgable members here, just how easy it was.

The real savings comes when you don't buy the manufacturer's kits; instead, assemble your own using using manufacturer or aftermarket seats and standard o-rings. This is easier with some regs than others. One of my favorites, the SP D300/350/400/Air 1, has a unique poppet that is impossible to find aftermarket. But even for something like that there are fixes. I bought a bag of NOS poppets from a store that was going out of business, found metric o-rings to fit the extremely odd size of the balance spool, and added the rest of the o-rings, all standard sizes, to come with kits for under $4 each, and those kits are more complete than the SP kit which only has the poppet and o-ring for the switch.

With a little persistence you can find what you need at a reasonable cost. Even $15-20 for a rebuild kit is a HUGE markup from anything close to actual cost. HP seats are the primary issue; those are occasionally proprietary but even then you can often find them. I found a bag of MK15 seats on the big auction site, and those are probably the 'rare' ones in the SP line.

Anyone that claims that not using the manufacturers' kits is risky probably does not realize that the manufacturers are sourcing o-rings from the same places any of us can get them. In fact, if you buy directly from a place like o-ringsusa or McMaster-Carr, you're likely getting something that's been on a shelf less time.

I've been wanting to source orings from McM-Carr and put my own kits together but haven't taken the time yet. I keep my eye open for eBay parts kits and get a few when the price is low.

Besides being expensive some of these eBay parts kits are pushing 20 years old. I watched a load of old parts go for a high price and many of the kits were from the 90s and had the polyurethane o-rings which only have a shelf life of about 5 years.

I am going to drop by the shop on Friday and ask about their pricing. My receipt shows; $28.00 + $11.00 + $12.00 + $5.00 + $110.00 + taxes ($11.62 + $8.30).

Back
Top Bottom