Cost of Living: Utila -vs- Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freshorangina

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I had originally planned on being down in Utila for a few months this summer, but there is a project that has come up in Roatan. Can anyone tell me basic cost of living differences, particularly in regards to lodging and food expenses. I am sure I will be looking to share a rental on a monthly basis. Any info is greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks.
Carey

There are way too many things to factor in for anyone to give a straight answer about one over the other. There is very cheap lodging available in both places. Some things you may want to consider, Is there hot water, do you want to eat like your likely accustomed to in toronto, will you be paying for electricity, will you want a/c, do you ecpect screens in windows just to name a few. I can buy fresh made from corn or flour tortillas for 2 lempira each, If I want to add something goofy like lobster then the price is out of control. Will you be wanting to eat local honduran or central american products or imported US stuff? The Honduran ground beef is OK once you strain it and the steaks are fine when pressure cooked for hours on end. What type of living are you hoping to do? Are you thinking of being in a clean beachfront place or having to hike up a dirt road to get to your place? Is security an issue? Do you mind dogs barking and roosters crowing all through the night?

Hi RTBDiver, I am not looking for anything fancy, but I need a door that locks. I will be doing a volunteer project and basically have to bring my own office with me, so that is important. Other than that, a fan is good, and a/c better but not a deal breaker. I don't eat lobster for breakfast everyday, so I don't think that will be an issue... That being said, if I wanted to buy a nice meal, steak or fish or whatever, in Utila I could get a full huge dinner for 200 lemps. I have no idea how the grocery prices compare to Utila. I am guessing it is the same situation with produce, with fresh stuff once or twice a week. I am familiar with Honduran beef, 'nuff said. I would need a place with a kitchen. How often does the power go out in Roatan, in Utila it was good that we had a backup generator where I was staying, but not essential. Dogs and chickens not a problem, you can end up with that anywhere. Are there certain areas that are a lot more expensive, other than the obvious view/no view distinctions? Also, how hard is it to find fresh fish?

Hi RTBDiver, I am not looking for anything fancy, but I need a door that locks.

So already you are qualifying places, Does it need a deadbolt, a real lock , one no one else has keys to?

I will be doing a volunteer project and basically have to bring my own office with me, so that is important. .

No theif cares why you are visiting nor does the one you are paying to stay at their place so unless looking for a deal this is irrelevant

. I don't eat lobster for breakfast everyday, so I don't think that will be an issue... That being said, if I wanted to buy a nice meal, steak or fish or whatever, in Utila I could get a full huge dinner for 200 lemps.
And you could do the same in many places on Roatan
How often does the power go out in Roatan, in Utila it was good that we had a backup generator where I was staying, but not essential..
Power goes out stillmore than most North American areas but many places on Roatan also have generators
Dogs and chickens not a problem, you can end up with that anywhere.
Are there certain areas that are a lot more expensive, other than the obvious view/no view distinctions? Also, how hard is it to find fresh fish?
Of course some places are more expensive, West Bay, West End, Sandy Bay beachfront, Gringo developments, those resort condo's are all more expensive but there are places around both Utila and Roatan that are very cost effective.

Cool, so it sounds pretty much like I could live like I did in Utila, but if I wanted to spend a lot of money I don't have I could go fancy and pretend to be in North America. This should be interesting. I don't know too much about Roatan, where is the hub of where most happens with tourism on the island?

West End is the spot to find the greatest volume of week-long visitors,
and it is also the place to be for pod people from the Cruise Ships.

I would also suggest that West End is where you are most likely to find "bargain" accomodations. It's a one-street wonder with bars, restaurants and dive shops. Not to be confused with "West Bay", which is home to one of the nicest beaches in the world and the real estate is priced accordingly :wink: But there may still be deals to be found there...

Thanks so much for the info!! I will be there for about three months, so it looks like I should be able to get a decent deal on a longer term rental. Any awesome hidden gems I should know about? If you don't want to share it too widely send me a private message. :) I can't wait to get to know the area. I loved Utila and I hear Roatan is fairly different so I am looking forward to discovering what makes it such a great destination.

Back
Top Bottom