Cost of Servicing Scubapro Regulators

What's the most you have ever paid for an annual regulator service?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me guess what you paid:
2) MK25 kits
2) G250 kits
2) R190 kits

That's probably about $170..... if I'm even close, WOW do they mark up these kits insanely

Labor, lets say $35/stage, that's $210

Mouthpiece, if it's a SP part at dive shop prices, I'd guess $25. HP hose, say $40. (BTW, I would bet $100 that you did not need the hose replaced)
Grand total $445 plus tax. How'd I do?
You were extremely close… The grand total was $408 tax included.
The high pressure hose I did need because there was a split on the side that I noticed before taking it in.
I used to service my own Dacor regs back in the day and when Dacor disappeared I switched to Scubapro and let the pros do the servicing for me, but I guess it's either time to go back to servicing my own regs or switch to Atomic regs.

Atomic is about the same costs..
If you really want to keep costs down and not be concerned about performance go wit,h Sherwood.. No charge on parts for annual service from authorized dealers. Just stay on recommended service intervals

Switching to Atomics may just give a different shop a shot at overcharging you. What is really needed is fair competition

Unnecessary service with "free" parts is just a different form of the rip-off.
"

Atomic is about the same costs..
If you really want to keep costs down and not be concerned about performance go wit,h Sherwood.. No charge on parts for annual service from authorized dealers. Just stay on recommended service intervals
I only mentioned Atomic because their service interval is every other year, but that would only happen once I have found a need to replace my Scubapro which probably won't happen for a very long time to come.

getting a pair of mk10s and servicing them yourself with kits from vdh is probably the cheapest route possible

Just learn to service your existing SP. Grey market parts for the MK25/S600/G250 are widely available. BTW, the "pros" you refer to likely had an entire training career that consisted of a weekend seminar (or two) that nobody has ever failed, and anyone who works at a dive shop is admitted to. That sure is 'professional' training for our 'life support' systems, right up there with years of medical school.

It is true that the older SP balanced piston regs like the MK10 can use aftermarket seats which are cheaper than the SP seats. But, the MK25, serviced well, can easily go for a couple hundred dives on a seat, so you're not talking about annual replacement unless you dive almost every day.

The G250/s600 uses a seat that is available aftermarket, and the rest of the kit is just o-rings.

BTW, the "pros" you refer to likely had an entire training career that consisted of a weekend seminar (or two) that nobody has ever failed, and anyone who works at a dive shop is admitted to. That sure is 'professional' training for our 'life support' systems, right up there with years of medical school.
The PRO remark was a bit tongue in cheek on my behalf, I have seen the training first hand and was not impressed.
It is true that the older SP balanced piston regs like the MK10 can use aftermarket seats which are cheaper than the SP seats. But, the MK25, serviced well, can easily go for a couple hundred dives on a seat, so you're not talking about annual replacement unless you dive almost every day.

The G250/s600 uses a seat that is available aftermarket, and the rest of the kit is just o-rings.
I am confident that I can do it myself but I would like to get ahold of some of the specialty tools before doing so.
I just can't remember where it was that I found online a few years back where you could purchase such items.

MK 5 and 10 with a 109 that has a duro poppet or has been updated to BA is $65.00 plus return shipping. MK 25's are harder for me to source the kits for so the price on those fluctuates a bit depending on the kit price. Usually $75 to $85 with a G250 second stage plus return shipping.

You just have to know where to go. I have over a dozen SP regs and pay $50 / 1st and 2nd. The guy is a 20+ year SP technician and does work for several shops but will gladly service regs on his own. I have the tools but at this price why fool with it.

Back
Top Bottom