Costa Concordia modern Andrea Doria?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't forget to have it's name changed..... sales on any boat like this would not be good if we all knew how fast it can sink.....

I figure it'll end up being sold and also having it's name changed. I wouldn't be surprised to see them change the "overall look" of it also to make it not look like the same boat.

either that, or it'll end up being a "low end cruise liner" like the "day cruises" they have going between south Florida and Freeport, etc.

Maybe when booking a cruize we need to research who the captain is and dig up all his dirt... just like political cannidate :(

besides the website CRUISE BRUISE posted by East End Diver,

check out this website. it's essentially the "Scubaboard" of the Cruise Industry.

Cruise Addicts - Cruise News, Cruise Reviews, Ship Videos, Cruises - Cruise Addicts

I've been on several cruises and never had them take my passport. Not sure if this it "the norm" on European cruises though.

It depends on the port of call. I cruised on Costa in 2006 and had a stop in Tunisia which is obviously not part of the European Union. I had to give the Tunisian authorities my passport and Costa returned it the next day.

I think the general consensus on these big ships, much like the Titanic, is that they are just too big to sink. I think you also want to believe that someone who has been entrusted to sail such a large investment in competent and doesn't crack under pressure. Obviously, it's a big NO! to both! :wink:

I saw the same media reports.

I've been on several cruises and never had them take my passport. Not sure if this it "the norm" on European cruises though.

They prob had two or three "licensed captains". (maybe more). But regardless, by the admiralty of the seas, a ship will always have a Master Captain.

in this case, he left like a coward.

In Italy it is SOP for your hotel to take your passport for a day.

The cost of the ship is in the order of $450m.

I would expect there is a clause in the insurance policy that covers gross negligence and invalidate a claim.

The ship is currently sitting on a shelf which bottoms out a 200'. Depending on how she comes to rest, they may have to dynamite part of the wreck to clear a navigation hazard. Diving the wreck may not be allowed if the Italians declare it a grave.

So are they going to drag it to india and have it scrapped or refurbish it as another ship?

I am not sure why these large ships are not required to have 2 active captains on the boat at a time. So that one idiot can not kill a whole ship. A second captian would correct a error or report poor judgement as in this case. The fear alone of that with job loss would prevent hot dogging around in your massive ship. Captain and cruize line should be force to pay enviromental damages not much different then the gulf oil spill.

Highflier

well..... there are two "captains" on a cruise ship, the Captain and the Staff Captain. As I work in a different part of the maritime industry (tugboats) I'm not positive as to the Staff Capains exact duties, but from what I've gathered they are second in command and often handle the non marine issues. That said, two full captains is NOT a good idea. On a ship you need a clear heirachy otherwise it can breed confusion and chaos. The best example I can think of is with children asking one parent a question and if they don't get the answer they want asking the other parent. All that said, I wouldn't be suprised if many of the senior deck officers didn't hold master licenses as well.

I'm not going to touch on the error correcting and bad judgement as I'm getting off watch soon and want to sleep without getting wound up :)

In Italy it is SOP for your hotel to take your passport for a day.

Really? Will they accept a photocopy of your passport in normal hotels there? I am very unwilling indeed to surrender my passport to a hotel, although I do carry colour photocopies with me.

I guess what I should have said instead of "2 captains", Is 2 ppl piloting the boat at all times on the approved course. Each having full right to correct the course or report the other for intentional violations.

With todays tech it is possible to keep a ship within a 100 feet of where it should be. Heck I have a 25 foot boat and I have not run it aground yet, Of course I spend a lot of time near shore.

It just seems crazy that in this day and age that any comercial boat runs aground with out a mechanical failure of some sort.

Highflier

Reactions: Ana
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom