Costa Concordia modern Andrea Doria?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure if they will just let it sink right there. There are alot of toxic fluids in many chambers of the ship. They will likely refloat it and drag it to india so they locals there could deal with the toxic wastes.

So is the cost of building these ships the physical structure and other components that gets the ship moving or is it the interior luxury finishings? The physical structure seems to be mostly intact, but if they have to redo most of the interior, interior refinishing cost becomes a major play. If this was a cargo ship, they definitely will refurbish it.

Not sure if they will just let it sink right there. There are alot of toxic fluids in many chambers of the ship. They will likely refloat it and drag it to india so they locals there could deal with the toxic wastes.

So is the cost of building these ships the physical structure and other components that gets the ship moving or is it the interior luxury finishings? The physical structure seems to be mostly intact, but if they have to redo most of the interior, interior refinishing cost becomes a major play. If this was a cargo ship, they definitely will refurbish it.

I think that they will try to refloat if the ship remains in that position. If the weather and sea conditions get rough, it could slide down the wall, and in that case refloating could be way too costly.
From the accident up to now it has sunk one meter and the stern moved 2 meters.

If that ship slipped down to diveable decent depth, the island and nearby Porto Santo Stefano would become a big and lucrative diving business. I wonder if Costa would consider this as the owner in order to try to compensate some of the losses. 300 divers every day in average isn't a big number at all. Quite achievable on that kind of wreck. It would make some $1 million every year quite effortlessly. if $10 is asked for every dive.
Enormous loss is sad of course, but diving the biggest sunken passengership (worldfamous) isn't something that any diver woul want to miss.
Like one of my diving buddies use to say: "Mines, torpedoes and stupid captains are friends of divers." Which might be hurtful for somebody, but it is true.

My imagination ... :)

If costa would cutoff part of well preserved cabins of concordia and install them on shore for divers thei could generate even more revenue. They are competent in hotel and party business, they could do that, rotating their hotel crews through divers resort. Also, Captain Schettino could become some kind of tour leader or guide for divers instead of doing his years in jail.

Also, Captain Schettino could become some kind of tour leader or guide for divers instead of doing his years in jail.

I prefer the idea of him rotting in jail for throwing the crew and guests under the bus.....but that is just me.

My imagination ... :)
Also, Captain Schettino could become some kind of tour leader or guide for divers instead of doing his years in jail.

Man has not yet invented enough punishment for that captain Francesco Schettino for what he did and what he did not do.

Man has not yet invented enough punishment for that captain Francesco Schettino for what he did and what he did not do.

Well, that's a touch on the dramatic side. We have lots of punishments, many of them appropriate. Which direction you go on that is a matter of personal politics and values. But you're making this guy out to be one of the worst people ever born to the planet earth. Derelict of duty? Sure. But he's not Stalinesque.

Well, that's a touch on the dramatic side. We have lots of punishments, many of them appropriate. Which direction you go on that is a matter of personal politics and values. But you're making this guy out to be one of the worst people ever born to the planet earth. Derelict of duty? Sure. But he's not Stalinesque.

History showed us brutal tyrants with incredible levels of cruelty.
This is not the case. This guy reached to a level of responsibility that he did not honored. The upper most responsibility of the captain is to take passengers safely to port. He did not do what he was supposed to do, drive the ship safely while passenger were having fun. Once Murphy acted, he left people die without any action. He even went to buy new sockings in the island because the ones he had were wet, while people on board was dying drowned.

Whats the purpose of punishment? Torture? Retaliation? Fulfilling personal desire for revenge? Making person better? Forcing to behave better in the future?

I am sure, captain did not sunk his ship purposedly to cause loss in lives and property. It is simple ignorance. Obviously.

Sure it is, Schettino will never be a captain of any ship. So he couldn't cause more damage. There is no need to lock him up and isolate him from society therefore.
It would be best if he could serve society by other means. To compensate at least some of the damage and be able to feed himself and pay taxes.

Could you imagine, former glorious captain of one of the biggest cruise ships is guiding divers to his former bridge!
It's a joke of course. Schettino wouldn't do that, at least not voluntarily :shakehead:

Whats the purpose of punishment? Torture? Retaliation? Fulfilling personal desire for revenge? Making person better? Forcing to behave better in the future?

I am sure, captain did not sunk his ship purposedly to cause loss in lives and property. It is simple ignorance. Obviously.

Sure it is, Schettino will never be a captain of any ship. So he couldn't cause more damage. There is no need to lock him up and isolate him from society therefore.
It would be best if he could serve society by other means. To compensate at least some of the damage and be able to feed himself and pay taxes.

Could you imagine, former glorious captain of one of the biggest cruise ships is guiding divers to his former bridge!
It's a joke of course. Schettino wouldn't do that, at least not voluntarily :shakehead:

Lets see, if we take his paycheck over the life he has left maybe we et $400,000. that should make a dent in the expenses
Ship ???
Personal injury
Enviromental cleanup
etc. etc.

Hmm maybe $1,000,000,000-$400,000 Almost worth letting him go free NOT!!!

Highflier

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom