Costa Concordia modern Andrea Doria?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lets see, if we take his paycheck over the life he has left maybe we et $400,000. that should make a dent in the expenses
Ship ???
Personal injury
Enviromental cleanup
etc. etc.

Hmm maybe $1,000,000,000-$400,000 Almost worth letting him go free NOT!!!

Highflier

I don't think Costa had such kind of contract with Schettino. Costa insured the ship, the passengers and everything else and pays for it not Schettino despite he must have made every effort not to cause life loss and damage.
Costa took most of responsibility in order to pay less to captain.

Anyway, if not on the ship bridge, Schettino is pretty harmless. No need to keep him behind the bars for taxpayer money.
There must be some kind of punishment that would remind his grave mistake till the end of his life.
Like being a captain of a divers boat during his spare time :D For free!

There must be some kind of punishment that would remind his grave mistake till the end of his life.

I prefer the thought of him getting tied to an anchor with 20' of line and getting dropped in front of the ship that he sank and prematurely abandoned so that he can protect the grave of the people he played a large part in killing. The man does not deserve to be free.

Last edited:
I know there was no contract I was responding to the comment about him working and not going to jail, He would not even start to earn his way out of jail. Just shut the door turn off the lights and let him sit for 20 years.

Highflier

I think according to the Italian maritime laws he is under he is facing a 3-12 year prison sentence for abandoning his ship prior to it sinking and with passengers still on board. He's also going to be facing man slaughter charges for the people who died due to his actions.

My imagination ... :)
...Also, Captain Schettino could become some kind of tour leader or guide for divers instead of doing his years in jail.

... former glorious captain of one of the biggest cruise ships is guiding divers to his former bridge!
It's a joke of course. Schettino wouldn't do that, at least not voluntarily :shakehead:
I realize these comments were tongue in cheek and just kidding, but seriously; his demonstrated character in this event leaves no doubt in my mind that he would be the worst kind of dive leader/dive buddy.

I think if you do some research you will find that the Captain of the Andrea Doria acted completely different from the Captain on the Costa..

I don't think Costa had such kind of contract with Schettino. Costa insured the ship, the passengers and everything else and pays for it not Schettino despite he must have made every effort not to cause life loss and damage.
Costa took most of responsibility in order to pay less to captain.

Anyway, if not on the ship bridge, Schettino is pretty harmless. No need to keep him behind the bars for taxpayer money.

LOL I would not want that crack head any were near a dive boat I would be on!

yea I would in no way compare Captain Cluck to Captain Calamai..the former would I think gone down with his boat, And felt sorry for the rest of his life for what happened.
Calamai is the classic doomed ship Captain.

And I think I was wrong saying this new wreck is like the Doria but more in line with the MS Mikhail Lermontov. And on that note in the news they are worried about oil hurting the port town if the ship were left. With the Lermontov they did such a good job pulling out the oil and fuel from the ship that nothing more than a glaze from what I have read has been seen as far as oil on the surface. So I think if cleaned up the Costa Ship could be pulled of into deeper water and make the town one hell of a bank roll!

Locals should praise God for their fortune, specially during these hard times for Italys economy.
Having the worlds biggest shipwreck, outside their port will boost their tourism revenue even if it eventually removed.

People are going to want to visit this place of great disaster.

If it is used as a scuba diving attraction, well then, cash will flow in great quantities.

Sometimes a pray we get something that big here in Greece too, without victims of course, but unfortunately most coastal waters are too deep and the few wrecks are unreachable. See "Sea Diamond" wreck for example.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom