Costa Rica diving: Catalina Island or Cano Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

indiedive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We have few days for scuba diving in Costa Rica and now the choice is between diving in Catalina Island or Cano Island. If we are going to dive in Cano Island then our based will be in Uvita, while if we are going to dive in Catalina Island then our based will be in Tamarindo.

Can you recommend which one is better for the first time visit and scuba diving in Costa Rica? Thank you in advance!

I decided to go diving in Cano Island.

Just wondering if anyone in scubaboard has been diving there: can I expect to see nudibranch or critters there?

We did Isla del Cano in Jan-2013. It is a long boat ride, ~45 min from Playa Colorada, but you can be lucky and see dolphins on your way. Haven't seen any nudis there. Maybe there were some, but there were plenty of reef sharks, so we focused on them. Lots of large jacks and snappers, and the largest grouper I've seen so far. You can see some pics from our trip here, if interested.

We dove Catalina this past December. Waters were warm and viz unusually brilliant! I'd stay in Flamingo though.....the Flamingo Resort was mucho quite compared to Tamarindo...we stayed in Tamarindo on our last visit.

@tarponchik Beautiful images on your Flickr Page! Thank you so much, I am so looking forward to diving with the sharks - I guess more big marine species there than nudis :)

@jpecht Awesome! I am looking forward to it now :) I will bring wide angle lens then :)

@flyboy08 Thank you so much for the tips! I am sure I will return to Costa Rica in the future and I will dive Catalina. Flamingo Resort has good recommendation :)

I decided to go diving in Cano Island. Just wondering if anyone in scubaboard has been diving there: can I expect to see nudibranch or critters there?

Indiedive don't give up on nudis. There are not as many species or individuals in Costa Rica as in SE Asia but if your eyes have been trained in SEA, you should be able to find several local species.

I haven't dove Cano, but I did dive the Catalina Islands, the Bat Islands and local Ocotal sites in Dec 2014.

I started with the nudipixel Costa Rica page for a list of which species can be seen in the region: http://www.nudipixel.net/location/costa_rica/

I am a macro lover, so that was the primary focus of my trip. In addition to the species listed on NP I found a tiny Chromodoris sphoni, a sea hare, several Tylodina corticalis , an apple green snail or elyssa (I have not IDed it yet) and I think another flabellina sp. Most of the animals I found were tiny but some of that may be due to the time of year or local conditions. I did not manage to find a Tambja abdere, nor did anyone else in the time I was there, but perhaps you will.

Some of the species were much more common than others (e.g. Glossodoris sedna ). In the Ocotal area, Tambja eliora is usually only seen at the Bat Islands (a different habitat than most 'fuzzy rocks' sites we dove).

Other critters to keep your eyes out for include seahorses, hairy crabs, harlequin shrimp, juvi angelfish and they have a small pipefish as well as several nice blennies.

Have a great time and hope you'll post a report when you get back! I looked seriously at Cano but decided on Ocotal for that trip. I would love to hear your assessment of the macro and pelagics in Cano.

ETA: The sea hare was Stylocheilus striatus.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom