Costa Rica - Hotel recomenedation / dive outfitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubalaurel:
I am accustomed to dive boats allowing me to plan my dive and profiles, not having them mandated to me.

Diving safaris seems to be interested in the fast easy tourist dollar, not catering to diver's requests or experience levels.

Like I said before, dive shops here wont let you do that. Just simple safety. On bad days, Bat islands rivals California water. I should know I've been diving in Nor Cal for over 10 years. If you had 5 people for Cats/Bats then why didn't Safaris take the "fast easy tourist dollar" from you.

Anyways, sorry you had a bad experience at Safaris, they are usually very attentive to divers requests.

Rivermonkey:
Like I said before, dive shops here wont let you do that. Just simple safety. On bad days, Bat islands rivals California water. I should know I've been diving in Nor Cal for over 10 years. If you had 5 people for Cats/Bats then why didn't Safaris take the "fast easy tourist dollar" from you.

Anyways, sorry you had a bad experience at Safaris, they are usually very attentive to divers requests.

well, they said conditions were not good for the travel to Catalinas Isl and Bat was closed. I would think that taking tourists to islands would take money from them, as bigger boats cost more to operate. Mostly, I think they don't like going out of their way to be attentive. They certainly were not to me. Let me clarify that, the DMs were great, boat crew nice. They were following the mandate of the shop owners. They wanted to end days early, versus working later. Whatever. I know what to ask when I am booking a trip in the future.

I'm in NorCal now. Dove two dives at Pt. Lobos today (35-40 feet vis), two in Pacific Grove yesterday - Coral St. and Lovers 3, and three in Monterey on Saturday - Erics Pinacle, Monterey Aquarium Reef, and the breakwater. Cool dives...actually I should say FAAAARRRREEEEEZZZZZIIINNNNGGGGG!!

We're firming up our plans for 2 weeks in Costa Rica from Jan 26. It's going to be our honeymoon, so we're planning on staying at an all inclusive somewhere on Golfo Papagayo.

I'm hoping to get at least 7 or 8 days diving in over the 14 days and I'd like to make sure I get at least 2 days diving Catalina and one day diving Bat.

Which operator gives me the best chance of getting out to Catalina and Bat? From the look of these posts it looks like Diving Safaris. Does that sound about right?

Do the operators in Costa Rica do resort pickups, or am I better off renting a car to transport myself to the departure sites?

Thanks,

D

Driznik:
I'm hoping to get at least 7 or 8 days diving in over the 14 days and I'd like to make sure I get at least 2 days diving Catalina and one day diving Bat.

Which operator gives me the best chance of getting out to Catalina and Bat? From the look of these posts it looks like Diving Safaris. Does that sound about right?

Do the operators in Costa Rica do resort pickups, or am I better off renting a car to transport myself to the departure sites?

Be sure to ask the operators questions before you book. Diving Safaris made me ascend with 1000 psi in my tank, or 40 minutes, whichever came first. I got a bunch of people together to go to Bat Island, but Bat was closed and they said that the trip out to Catalinas Island would be to rough. I hear the operators from Ocotal are better, altough Safaris has been there longer.

I rented a jeep. Way more fun and gave us the opportunity to go do stuff when I beleive the operators will do pickups, but the freedom with car is cool. Just be sure to FOLLOW the speed maximums. If no signs, the limit is only 80kmh. DOn't beleive what the rental agents tell you. Also, if you do get a traffic ticket, pay at the stations in the region, not at the rental agency. The agency will charge you a 50% fee for taking care of it for you.

Anyway, the topside in Costa Rica totally rocks. Be sure to go Ziplining (Congo Canopy Tour in Guanacaste was fun) and whitewater rafting! Also, leave a couple of days for Arenal Volcano. There is an awesome Hot Spring and Spa there (called Tabacon, I think). This place was beyond awesome!!!!

L :)

(sidenote ....post 500! holy canoly)

Just got back from a week in Playa Del Coco. Small "fishing" village, that is rapidly becoming a tourist destination. We stayed at Villa Flores www.hotel-villa-flores.com and I must say, it was by far the best B&B that we visited while we were there. Fresh fruit every morning, and some sort of eggs. Also had dinner there twice, which was excellent both times, and easily the best deal in town as far as price. The beds left a lot to be desired, unless you enjoy a rock hard bed. However, the grounds, and pool more than made up for the bed, and as much as I complained about the bed, I didn't have any trouble getting plenty of sleep. Loved relaxing in the pool or sitting in the hammocks when we weren't diving. The "swim up bar" is there, but it isn't stocked, and no one works it. The "gym" doesn't even exist...but then again, I was on vacation, so I guess it was kind of nice :) When we return, we will definately stay with Caroline & David again. The weather was beautiful with only one day of any substantial rain that maybe lasted for 30 minutes.

Had 5 days of diving with Rich Coast Diving www.richcoastdiving.com our dive master was Jaime. We were served fresh fruit, water, soda & cookies at our surface intervals. It was nice not to have to worry about taking snacks or water on the boat and just showing up every morning. We dropped our gear off at the shop the day we got there, and it was on the boat in our own individual mesh bags waiting for us. They would set it up for you, or let you set it up, whichever you prefered. At the end of the day, you just stored it back in the bag, and they took it back to the shop for a rinse and storage for the next day. I must say, not hauling our gear at all was a wonderful change for us. The visibility changed every day, so it was hard to say what you would be able to see. One day it was like diving the local lakes, and the next it rivaled Roatan. Luckily for us, the day it was like Roatan, we were at the Catalinas. The 3 dives at the Catalinas was the best day of diving I have had so far...more sharks than we could count, schools of barracuda, formations of eagle rays, schools of fish so dense, it was like clouds blocking out the sun. Other than the Catalinas, there was some interesting local diving as well. We went out to Monkey Head, which was an enjoyable dive, and if you get the opportunity, I also recommend Punta Gorda. Both were great dives, with Punta Gorda being the best diving outside of the Islands. Puffer & porcupine fish here are like cattle, there are litterally thousands of them on every dive. There are 5 to 6 huddled together in every crack and crevice. Also, there are some that are just amazingly curious. I had one that would not leave my camera alone. He would swim right up to the lens and just sit there...everytime I moved the camera, there he was. Also, the eels were in full force. I must have 100 photos of just different eels. Seahorses, were abundant as well....I figure when I can find one without a divemaster, then there has to be something going on. We were all really excited when we saw our first scorpionfish...that was until we spotted the other 50 scorpionfish...

On our one day that we didn't dive, we had a driver take us to the Arenal area where we had an excursion with Pure Trek www.puretrek.com They took us on a canyoning "tour". We took a van from their place to a small dirt road, where we boarded 4x4's and headed off into the jungle. After stopping, we got a briefing, and put on our rapelling gear. We hiked for about 5 minutes, and rapelled down a 175' waterfall! What a blast. We did 4 more waterfalls and a canyon wall. Tons of life and water. It was fun, but not as much fun as the diving for me. Everyone else on the trip enjoyed it more than the diving, so to each his own I guess. We got back in time for the sun to sit and the clouds to lift off of the volcano. Stopped for some pizzas to go for the 3.5 hour ride back to Playa. On the way back, our driver pulled off on a side road, and we watched as the volcano sent lava flying up into the air and spilling down the sides of the mountain. It was truely an amazing day. Anyway, I could type for hours and not get it all in. I just wanted to report in and let everyone know that I would recommend all 3 of the operators that we dealt with. Also, if you do want to see the volcano, I recommend spending a day or two there and not trying to make a one day trip out of it.

Kent,

Are those prices on that page US$ including the diving and hotel if so the pricing is very attractive?

Thanks,

Linda

It's very cheap there...food wise...and any activity. If you dive with Deep Blue Adventure's in Playa del Coco it's like $45 for 2 boat dive. and yes, if you go make sure you do some land tours. I've been there many times and it's great. i'll be heading there in 1 more day...

LindaBluedolphin:
Kent,

Are those prices on that page US$ including the diving and hotel if so the pricing is very attractive?

Thanks,

Linda

Yes, those prices (the ones on Rich Coasts web site) include diving and hotel & are US $. They use Colon(es) there, at about 500 colones/$ We actually ended up paying our hotel and diving at the dive shop, because we could skip out on a 16% hotel tax, many thanks to the dive shop for letting us in on that. They took our credit cards, and then ran the cash over to the hotel before we even had a chance to get back. I think our package price was like $480ish per person for diving and staying for one week. Spent more than that as we went to the Catalina's, and bought a bunch of T-shirts, but it was a great base price for the trip :)

I dove Playa Flamingo in the spring:

See my previous trip report:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=100470

We dove from Playa Flamingo with AquaCenter located in back of Flamingo Marina Resort (this may be the place that kwleker was talking about). Talk to Ana, one of the owners. They're a friendly operation and we would use them again. On one of our afternoon dives, my wife and I were the only ones booked. They took us out anyway - captain, DM and the two of us on a boat that could have held 8-12.

They have two boats and it seemed that they would take both out as long as there were more than 10 as opposed to squeezing everyone on one.

As with the prior posters - low vis, but great marine life to see. Rays galore, sharks, dolphins, eels... The vis can be bad, but not nearly as bad as California. Plus, if you are not cold intolerant, you can dive without a wetsuit (vs 13mm in CA).

I'd recommend bringing a flashlight to peer in the caves and crevices.

Well.. looks like I will be going to CR in October. It was nice reading trip reports here.

Not sure that I want to take ALL my gear down, as I plan on doing just 2 or maybe 3 days of diving. Did anyone notice how the shops rental gear looked? Right now I am planning to bring my regs and mask. If the dive shops stuff looks like it is well abused, I may bring everything down. But, If I can get by with out having to lug a heavy dive bag around Costa Rica, that would be good.

Thanks in advance... Cheers...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom