Costa Rica - mid February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scarefaceDM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Heading to Costa Rica mid Feb...Target departure dates are Feb 18, 19-20 or 21, for a week. I am traveling with my non diving wife so land based activities are going to be a must. Got to balance our vacation...:). I am not sure of the best area to go In Costa Rica..so suggestions are welcome...trip is not booked yet.

We are looking at a Volcano trek, Rainforest or canopy tour, plus some diving for me of course. We are not party hardy folks...so for us the quieter the better...So she can get pampered while I get familiar with the local underwater beauties...Good trade off I think...:)

So where would be the best of both worlds to go in Costa Rica, Calm waters nice beaches close to land tours and Diving... We do not mind traveling for the land activities makes it part of the exploration. I read the forum and did not quit get the info I needed just looking more a little more based on the time we are going...

Any help would be great

Thanks

Last edited:
scarefaceDM,

the Jaco and Playa Herradura area is a perfect location to fit your needs as it is located in the center of Costa Rica, one and a half hour from San Jose away. From Jaco you can reach the Carrara and Manuel Antonio National Parks in a hour, horseback riding, canopy, kayaking, sailing, daytrips to Isla Tortuga, ATV tours, fishing for any type of game fish, and, and, and, are just around the corner.
The various local tour operators offer full day trips to visit the Arenal Volcano, including entrance to the hot springs.

Regarding diving; Well see my photos and the video with the giant manta ray here: Herradura Divers | Facebook i guess that they speak for them selfes...

Let me know if you need any other informations, i will be glad to help you to organize your trip.

Happy planning!

Chris

Hey Chris

thanks so much for the info...it is what I was looking for. Now I will be searching for the resort to go to etc....Do you have a recommendation?

Stephen

Hi Stephen,
Jaco and Herradura offers accomodation between 10 and 1200$ per night.
As it is very difficoult to guess what type of accomodation you would like and
what you are willing to pay for i suggest that you send me a email with your budget
and any special wishes or needs to info@herraduradivers.com.
Below some quick ideas:

The Marriot @ Los Sueños Marina & Resort (just in front of us, top notch Marriot), you may use some points
Villa Calletas: extremly beautiful hotel and position high up a hill with a spectacular view over the Gulf of Nicoya
Hotel Villa Creole: nice, small family run hotel in a residential area of Jaco
Best Western Jaco, Best Western style beachfront Hotel in Jaco

Chris

We have a beautiful area just a bit south of Jaco as well. The Manuel Antonio National Park is just south of you. We have great diving around that time of year in the park and their is a large selection of land based activities including zip lining, canyoning, sap activities and beautiful beaches. We also run trips down to the Cano island national park where there is a large groups of white tip sharks and rays. If you would like anymore information please just drop us a line ans we would love to help you out. Have fun with your vacation!
info@oceansunlimitedcr.com

If you have read through the Forums, you probably saw this post by me:

"We were in Costa Rica a couple of years ago, just up the coast from where you are staying, in the Guanacaste/Culebra area (hotel we stayed in is now the Hilton Papagayo) . Two things we did that stand out in my mind (other than diving both the Catalinas and Bat Island - Bull Sharks!) were to go on a day trip to Nicaragua (we went by guided private car, stopped by a volcano, did some shopping, had lunch in Granada and did some sightseeing) and then spent three days up at Arenal (active volcano)."

If you would like any more specific information, please feel free to PM me.

In November we visited Costa Rica, staying in the Playa Hermosa area. Hermosa is a rather small town on the Pacific side, on the Gulf of Papagayo, which is less than 30 minutes by car from the Liberia airport. There are several nice hotels and restaurants, but being a small town there is little night life or shopping - perfect for me. Playas del Coco is a more happening place about 20 minutes to the south.

Playa Hermosa has nice local diving and is about halfway between the Bat Islands and Catalina Islands. The local dive operators make trips to both of these diving destinations. I dove two days with Diving Safari's, a small family run operation with great people. There is also Rich Coast Diving, which is located in the Hotel Playa Hermosa which is right on the beach. In addition, there are several dive operators in Playas del Coco.

There are several tour operators who have regular trips to the volcano and to Nicaragua. I highly recommend doing one of the zip line trips.

Last edited:
Playas del Coco is famous for great diving all year round. We are close to the Bats and the Catalina islands, February great time to spot the giant Manta rays. We are located on the main road in Coco and have a smaller location in Playa Hermosa. Playa Hermosa is a smaller and more quiet town, but the beaches are a bit nicer.
As for tours, there are many options, we are very close to the monkey trail, canopy tours, rafting and there are operators that organize trips to Arenal volcano.
If you need more info or have any questions send us an email
dive@richcoastdiving.com
happy diving
Brenda
:)

Thanks folks I am still in the planning stages...the info helps alot...

We just returned from 10 days at the RUI in Guanacaste in early November. They have a dive shop on the resort. I dive and my wife stays on the beach. Plenty to do and see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom