Costa Rica Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasharks

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

Curious about the diving in Costa Rica.

I have the frontier go wild pass,so I can get to Guanacasti (LIR) and San Jose (SJO)

Anyone been diving in these areas? Is it any good? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Go guanacaste and dive from playas del coco, there are a few dive centers, I recommend the small dive op called summer salt dive center, small and don't do cattle diving, most dive op have boat dives that leave from there to the nearby Bat islands and Catalina islands where on the dives you can see mantas and sharks.

Go guanacaste and dive from playas del coco, there are a few dive centers, I recommend the small dive op called summer salt dive center, small and don't do cattle diving, most dive op have boat dives that leave from there to the nearby Bat islands and Catalina islands where on the dives you can see mantas and sharks.
Thanks! How is the diving? Where is a good place to stay that isnt too pricey?

I did Playa Del Coco a while back. Was different than the usual reef diving I'm used to. Lots of rocks with surging tides. Big sholes of fish and lots of whitetip sharks. I did a dive with some massive bull sharks off the Murcielago Islands. On the boat ride to the Bats, we were in the mids of hundreds of dolphins. Pretty epic day.

I managed to blow out one of my ears in a down current. Made for a few miserable days and an awful flight home. Lost hearing in that ear for a month. Mind those currents.

Thanks! How is the diving? Where is a good place to stay that isnt too pricey?
Diving is okay, visibilty and current varies, twice I went to Catalina and did not see any manta. But lots of white tip sharks. Accomodation I stayed in Playas del Coco at the palms at coco beach, there are so many choices around $50-$100/ or more per night within the town center.

Although not consistent with your itinerary, there is also good Pacific-side diving in the south, off of Drake Bay, for those who are going to Corcovado or the Osa Peninsula (or just to Drake Bay, which is a small settlement, largely undeveloped but with a range of accommodations). The Caño Island Marine Reserve is about 20k offshore. We dove there a few days with Costa Rica Adventure Diving, and were pleased with all aspects of the experience. Moderate visibility, mild-to-moderate current, and fishier than we expected--rays, turtles, reef sharks, ocean triggers blowing out their nests, etc. There is an airport at Drake Bay, but most visitors take fast boats downriver from Sierpe; you can rent a car and leave it there, or take a bus or taxi from points north. San Jose to Sierpe is a 4-5 hour drive.

Did you like Cano better? Also, if I have to choose between Cataline and Bat island, which one is better?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom