*cough* um, what happened to Pennsylvania's border on Lake Erie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mambo Dave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
:lol: What happened to Pennsylvania's border on Lake Erie?

Or, to put it another way - which forum are Western Pennsylvania divers supposed to post in :confused: ? PA got skipped in the names of ths states listed as the wrecking crew. Wha? was the state's name too long :wink: ?

I spent a little time trying to figure out where SB had expected WPA divers to post. It ain't gonna be mid-atlantic diving... that ocean is a bit far to consider diving in. And, while even the news, and universities, consider it so, I bet some westerners in the Mid-West forum would be mighty surprised to find that western PA is considered a mid-western region (as is Ohio) when western PA threads pop up there.

I'm just asking as the next trip I take will be up to either western PA or middle PA - neither of which is Atlantic diving by any stretch of the imagination - and I would like to ask some diving questions sooner or later.

:thumb:

MD

The Last I checked Lake Erie was still considered on of the Great Lakes. Therefor one would assume you would post here. We have divers who dive quarries in ohio who post here. I think Lake Erie has better qualifications personally. Quarry diving and Great Lakes diving are two different animals in my eyes.

Jim

Dave,

WPA should be GLWC in my opinion (it doesn't really fit anywhere else, and they include Indiana which has about the same amount of Great Lakes shoreline) so go ahead and post here. Are you planning to dive in Lake Erie?

See my own epic struggles on this issue here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=137371

Well Dave from the legal side of things, it appears you don't have standing to make this arguement on behalf of Pennsylvania, becasue you are in Florida. You will need to find someone who has standing to argue your point.

Just kidding. You are very welcome to post here. And even dive here. We let Beezwax in so obviously we aren't to strict (just kidding C- you know I'd love to dive with you anytime) You should plan a trip this way to co-ordinate with our fall Meet & Greet- date and location are still TBA.

Polly

We normally get at least a couple of divers at each Meet and Greet from Western Pennsylvania. So, I guess that makes the arguement that western PA divers belong here!

As to the point about quarry and Great Lakes diving being different... They are. But, when winter comes and I need to keep the skills up for wrecks like the Dunderburg, the Daniel J. Morrell, and the ones that I will be diving at Whitefish Point this year, you will find me at Gilboa Quarry and maybe looking for a dive buddy :) . So, I don't have an issue with those posts either.

LOL, if there's talk of quarry dives in this forum, then I'm thinking I'm in the right place. I did my training dives in the Little and Big Kino quarries (somewhere in God's country between Pittsburgh and Lake Erie) after the 1993 blizzard's snow melted.

I don't have a trip planned, yet, to go back up there, but for some reason the rest of my family really likes living in a freezer for a few months each year, so there they remain. :shakehead

I have a couple of diving goals to get to. One of them actually is Lake Erie - based on what I saw (from the shores) it's pretty clear now that the zebras entered the system. I hope to access Erie, via some dive boat, off of Presque Isle (PA), or the Huron, OH, area. Have a dive op you'd recommend?

I should probably make this a separate thread, but I don't like spamming, so - anyone know of non-quarry lake diving in western PA? Is it possible? I know that , years ago, a few church friends brought their dive gear into Lake Pymatuming when we had a friend's fishing canoe tip over and dump gear.

And just what are the precautions for diving with Pike and Musky? They kinda look like Barracuda to me, and 'cuda aren't that big of a deal (danger-wise, that is; diving-wise, they're really cool to look at) to dive with. They reportedly go after flashy/shiny objects, but they pretty much ignore divers (even with a shiny SS bolt-snap dangling off of our regulators). I have seen Pike and 'cuda hit Rapala lures in identical ways - they ambush the lure fast and from from the side - so I guess they would have similar personalities?

Thanks, all, for the friendly replies.

Woo Hoo!

It wasn't my intention to get 'em up there, but I'm sure some diver from up 'air is gonna be happier now. Feels kinda strange getting W PA into a SB group from sunny (hot & humid) Florida, but hey...
:thumb:

Mambo Dave:
LOL, if there's quarry divers in this forum, then I'm thinking I'm in the right place.

I don't have a trip planned, yet, to go back up there, but for some reason the rest of my family really likes living in a freezer for a few months each year, so there they remain. :shakehead

I have a couple of diving goals to get to. One of them actually is Lake Erie - based on what I saw (from the shores) it's pretty clear now that the zebras entered the system. I hope to access Erie, via some dive boat, off of Presque Isle (PA), or the Huron, OH, area.

I should probably make this a separate thread, but I hate spamming, so - anyone know of non-quarry lake diving in western PA? Is it possible? I know that , years ago, a few church friends brought their dive gear into Lake Pymatuming when we had a friend's fishing canoe tip over and dump gear. And just what are the precautions for diving with Pike and Musky? They kinda look like Barracuda to me, and 'cuda aren't that big of a deal to dive with. They reportedly go after flashy/shiny objects, but they pretty much ignore divers (even with a shiny SS bolt-snap dangling off of our regulators).

Thanks, all, for the friendly replies.

I get asked if I dive in Lake Pymatuming all the time but I never have and don't know anyone that has. We dive the quarries, Lake Erie or we drop down to WV to either Summersville Lake or Mount Storm. It sucks being in this area because there are not a lot of nice places to dive that are clear and deep without travelling at least 3 to 5 hours. I know that PA lets you dive in a lot of their lakes but after doing some research, a lot of them are shallow (some in that 10 to 12 foot range). We just seem to spend a lot of travel dollars with our dive dollars. Unfortunately the only deep things we have around here are rivers and I'd be afraid of what I'd find in there or maybe what would find me.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom