Could the scuba community have done something more to prevent Guy Garman's death?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm sure someone brought this up before already, but since I haven't come across much discussion of it in the other threads, I thought I'd post it here...

It has been stated over and over that there was absolutely nothing more to be learned from this attempt, the relevant science has already been known for decades, that this outcome was completely 100% predictable, and yet, as someone pointed out, the number of posts and the temperature of the discussion for months before the attempt was nothing compared to what it has been over just the past two days.

Somehow, the scuba community as a whole has suffered from collective paralysis, and everyone has been watching this train wreck unfold in slow motion.

Of course, maybe there's nothing that could have been done, and if so, then so be it... but, on the off chance that anything could have been done, after all, would it be productive at all to explore this question?

Note that I'm not implying that anyone besides this person bears responsibility for what happened, just wondering whether anything could've been done, or done differently, to prevent it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Short of actually protesting, I don't think so. The mindset of those involved and the "glory" around deep diving is the issue. IMO the responsibility is with the entire team, not just the individual. Andy's blog hit the nail very square......

No. There is not "A" scuba community. Especially if one has decided some of the experience of others need not apply to them.

i do think the dive op that supported this prank should have known better. if one of my students told me they wanted to train for such a dumbass thing, i would have referred them. to a psychiatrist!

One word answer: no.

People were on this forum stating that the attempt was a fools errand months ago. And his friends were defending and justifying the attempt before it happened.

I'm sure there were people who told him he was in over his head,he alone is responsible for decisions and hence the outcome.

We can best prevent this by not glamming on and defending this kind of stupidity but give it the derision it deserves.

no, but, regrettably, this is the kind of thing that leads to unnecessary imposed regulations.....

all the science was there, and spelled out numerous times. In the end, it was just "Yeah, but.....".

No. There is not "A" scuba community.
I bet the PETA Community could have stopped it, or maybe the Civil War Re-en-actors Community (if they could get enough real bullets).

The dive op that provided support for this attempt apparently gives out tee shirts to anyone who breaks the "300 feet" barrier...IMHO that is reckless conduct. Glorifying and rewarding dangerous and pointless behaviour is the first rung in the ladder that leads to tragedies like this one.

I'm sure there were people who told him he was in over his head,he alone is responsible for decisions and hence the outcome.

You think? I don't agree. I've seen too many high muckity-mucks that get a good idea, and those that speak against it become disinvited to meetings and left off of email chains. It happens A LOT. So, no; there were no devil's advocates on his crew.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom