Could the scuba community have done something more to prevent Guy Garman's death?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you really think a discussion online is going to change a persons mind about a thing like this? Especially on Scubaboard? When was the last time you saw someone have that lightbulb moment when arguing a point of view on this board?

Not sure what to make out of your post, unclear whose mind you're referring to.

Of course I was talking about Garman. I guess the more eloquent way to express what I was trying to say is this: when an alpha sets his mind to something, he considers the opinions of 99.9% of others invalid. There are few exceptions to that rule.

Sometimes there is a mountain and a person who, well aware of the dangers, wants to climb it.

True. But a person needs to remember that there are real natural limits. If we had a 45,000 ft mountain and somebody wanted to climb it without any air assist they could try. But physiology and physics and chemistry say they will die well before the top. Not every thing we want is actually possible.

I'm sure someone brought this up before already, but since I haven't come across much discussion of it in the other threads, I thought I'd post it here...

It has been stated over and over that there was absolutely nothing more to be learned from this attempt, the relevant science has already been known for decades, that this outcome was completely 100% predictable, and yet, as someone pointed out, the number of posts and the temperature of the discussion for months before the attempt was nothing compared to what it has been over just the past two days.

Somehow, the scuba community as a whole has suffered from collective paralysis, and everyone has been watching this train wreck unfold in slow motion.

Of course, maybe there's nothing that could have been done, and if so, then so be it... but, on the off chance that anything could have been done, after all, would it be productive at all to explore this question?

Note that I'm not implying that anyone besides this person bears responsibility for what happened, just wondering whether anything could've been done, or done differently, to prevent it.

Thanks!

Enough was said, but if a person won't listen there's only so much you can do. He had apparently convinced himself and the people around him that he was the ONE person on this planet with the skills and knowledge necessary to take on this dive....and that kind of narcissism/arrogance/delusion of grandeur or whatever you want to call it is not something you can "talk down" very easily.

R..

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom