Counting down the days to Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

finluca

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are heading to Maui on June 7 for 9 days. We're landing at about 2PM on Thursday and then have to fly over to Hilo for a wedding on Saturday morning at about 10 AM. We fly back to Maui on Sunday morning. Do you think it's safe to dive on Friday? If it is which shore dive would be a good intro to Maui? We'll be staying in Kihei.

I'm headed over there on June 13th for 7 days. Staying in Kahana. For an intro dive, Old Airport Beach is good but about 45 minute drive from Kihei. I'm not too familiar with the Kihei area.

Rob

If you are doing a shallow shore dive you should be ok but if you are going to Molokini I wouldn't do it. I know PADI has relaxed the time to fly rules but I still go by the 24 hour rule especially if I did a deep dive.

My advice is to get up early and do a morning dive at Uulua Beach or 5 Graves. Both are easy dives and nice and shallow. Be out of the water by 10:00 and you will be fine.

Have fun!

Thanks for the tips. Ulua Beach looks nice, I think we'll try that.

As opposed to Scottri, I'm of the inclination that every last possible second of bottom time be eeked out of a dive excursion. :)

As long as you are hydrated (read: recovered from air travel *to* Maui), you should have absolutely no problem diving anything within recreational dive limits (at least, following the PADI RDP) on the Saturday morning.

The current recommendations are a minimum of 12 hours before flying (or driving to altitude), and 18 hours (or more) if you have done "multiple dives over multiple days".

Considering you are usually back at the boat ramp by 11 or 12, by the time your plane takes off, then reaches a cabin pressure of greater than 1000', you should have at least 24 hours out of the water.

Of course, that's just me... I'd do a shallow dive 8-12 hours before flying, as long as the surface interval after the dive put me above the "A" pressure group. :)

Ummm I don't do it. I just don't. We all take in and retain nitrogen at different levels. I've seen many "undeserved" hits over the years and flying even in a pressured plane less than 18 hours after diving is asking for a deserved hit. Why chance it?

Very show ascents, very shallow dives with very long safety stops are a key to putting the odds more in your favor.

finluca:
...have to fly over to Hilo for a wedding on Saturday morning at about 10 AM. We fly back to Maui on Sunday morning. Do you think it's safe to dive on Friday?

Current recommendations are minimum 12 hrs after single dive, minimum 18 hrs after repetitive dives &/or multiple days of diving. You could do a couple dives (even a Molokini trip) Friday morning and still have more than 18 hrs before your flight.

KrisB:
Of course, that's just me... I'd do a shallow dive 8-12 hours before flying, as long as the surface interval after the dive put me above the "A" pressure group. :)

IMHO, no prudent and responsible instructor would imply that flying commercial jets less than 12 hrs after diving is safe! Dr. KrisB is not a dive doctor and evidently not a prudent and responsible instructor so please do not follow his flying after diving recommendation.:no

Stick with the 12/18 hour rule. Why take chances on your vacation, this far from home. Have you seen the hospitals here??? There's plenty to do while you're "off gassing".

Dr. KrisB is not a dive doctor and evidently not a prudent and responsible instructor

are you serious?...the way I read it, he has plenty of time. I think Kris interpreted the scenario prudently, where am I wrong?

He clearly identified the possible dehydration "pre-existing condition", asked that they remedy that, be rested and calculated the time within the rule...where is the problem?

You don't have to be a "dive doctor" to understand the physics.

If a regular joe blow diver wise cracks that "flying 8-12 hours after diving Ulua has always worked for me:crafty: " most newbies can see the fringe element of it all. When you title yourself instructor and doctor some newbies might mistake you for an authority!:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom