Couple detained in Cozumel until chamber bill paid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are no similar 24/7 emergency public recompression chambers at all in Florida that have the same dedicated capability, operational support and rapid response as the Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber in Southern California to treat the entire range of DCI pathologies -including acute AGE.

The only other facility that is equivalent and in close proximity to areas of active Scuba diving recreation as well is in Oahu, Honolulu (the recently reopened Hyperbaric Treatment Center at Kuakini Medical Center/Univ of Hawaii Medical School).

This is absolutely bizarre to me that Florida lacks this.
I'm landlocked and have access to a 24/7/365 hyperbaric chamber. (I would guess it is rarely used for SCUBA related reasons; though most of the doctors who work there do dive- I consulted with them about my spinal cord injury when I decided to start diving.)

DAN actually won't help refer you to a chamber- they refer you to emergency medicine. They will then help those providers find a chamber if they are unaware of one.
Hyperbaric Chamber Location, Medical FAQ — DAN | Divers Alert Network

This is absolutely bizarre to me that Florida lacks this.
I'm landlocked and have access to a 24/7/365 hyperbaric chamber. (I would guess it is rarely used for SCUBA related reasons; though most of the doctors who work there do dive- I consulted with them about my spinal cord injury when I decided to start diving.)

There are plenty of hyperbaric chambers in Florida, but the problem is that most are not staffed, funded, etc., to do recompression of scuba divers. Most are definitely not staffed 24/7/365. Just too costly, it seems.

There are plenty of hyperbaric chambers in Florida, but the problem is that most are not staffed, funded, etc., to do recompression of scuba divers. Most are definitely not staffed 24/7/365. Just too costly, it seems.

But are people on call 24/7/365? Or if you present to a hospital are you going to have to be transported to a facility that can treat you if symptoms show up in the middle of the night?

Maybe there just isn't need for it- it just surprises me with Florida being such a popular dive destination that there is 24 hour treatment available.

(Edit: Google tells me there are a few 24/7 hyperbaric chambers in Florida. So it must have just been about diver-dedicated ones and I misunderstood. I think it makes sense most places would use their chambers to treat other conditions too.)

Last edited:
But are people on call 24/7/365? Or if you present to a hospital are you going to have to be transported to a facility that can treat you if symptoms show up in the middle of the night?

Maybe there just isn't need for it- it just surprises me with Florida being such a popular dive destination that there is 24 hour treatment available.
Or maybe there is - but that post was only about dedicated to divers only? (Which I think would be unusual.)
There is only one hyperbaric facility in Florida that is dedicated to divers only, and that is the Navy Experimental Dive Unit at Panama City. Unfortunately, it only supports Navy and Dept of Defense active operations and research, and rarely is available on-call 24/7 for civilian diving emergencies.

Same I am surprised that Florida don't have at least a 24/7/365 hyperbaric chambers. Where divers in Florida get their treatment?

I mean Florida is known to have some of the best instructors specially in cave diving. Its one of the top destination for cave diving with Playa/Tulum and Bahamas.

I believe there are some that have staff on call who could treat DCS, most do not. If I understand correctly--and my, ahem, vast knowledge has been gained mainly by following these SB threads--most hospital hyperbaric units simply do not treat divers. So yes, if you just show up to the nearest hospital with a hyperbaric unit because you think they will treat your DCS, they very well may tell you the nearest chamber that can treat you is 100 miles away.

I believe there are some that have staff on call who could treat DCS, most do not. If I understand correctly--and my, ahem, vast knowledge has been gained mainly by following these SB threads--most hospital hyperbaric units simply do not treat divers. So yes, if you just show up to the nearest hospital with a hyperbaric unit because you think they will treat your DCS, they very well may tell you the nearest chamber that can treat you is 100 miles away.

Learn something new everyday. Guess I'm lucky that if I'm ever bent at home (not sure how that will happen...our quarry is only about 25 feet...) my local hospital CAN treat DCI.

DAN does tell you to go to the nearest emergency department, not the nearest chamber of course. Better to have a hospital transport you than do it yourself. (Unless of course they are equidistant. Go to the chamber that treats divers.)

Here's information about the Hyperbaric Center at St. Mary's Medical Center in West Palm Beach, FL:

The Hyperbaric Center at St. Mary's

The Hyperbaric Center at St. Mary’s Medical Center is equipped with the technology and specially-trained team necessary to treat the full spectrum of emergency conditions and chronic illnesses. Our hyperbaric chambers are accessible 24/7 in the event of an emergency, and are available during normal business hours for elective care.

Patients can sit upright or recline comfortably while reading or watching a movie as they undergo treatment in one of our multi-place chambers. If necessary, accommodations can be made for patients on stretchers. A nurse, respiratory therapist or paramedic trained in hyperbaric medicine remain in attendance at all times and communicate with a hyperbaric physician as needed. If needed, a trained professional can enter the chamber and quickly be at the patient’s side.

Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is used to treat a variety of conditions, including:
  • Radiation injury
  • Chronic refractory osteomyelitis
  • Compromised skin flaps and grafts
  • Crush injuries
  • Decompression sickness
  • Gas embolism
  • Carbon monoxide poisoning
  • Gangrene
Should you have questions or would like to refer a patient for treatment, please call us at (561) 882-2852.

Maybe you should post that (or mods move it) to the Florida section? If there is such a lack of chambers for treating DCS in Florida, then those members need to know their options.

Maybe it should be in both places??? Mods move if you deem appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom