Couple detained in Cozumel until chamber bill paid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, that caused me to read the manual. I learned that my double snap hook would not be covered as I was not being rescued when it was lost. Darn it!

For those who think DAN is going to charter you a private med-evac jet back to the states from Coz in a medical emergency that is absolutely NOT going to happen.

Actually, yes they will and they do. It has happened numerous times here that I am aware of - and I bet there are many times I am not aware of.

No one needs insurance until they need it and then they really need it.

Anyone here living without house insurance just because it's never burned before?

I actually know people that have lived that way for decades--no insurance on their house, and no liability insurance. These are the same people that would be on my doorstep an hour after their house burned down looking for financial help, and would be the first to sue me if they fell down my stairs. I asked the husband how he would ever recover if he lost his house? His response was "I'll think of something." If he does not have that contingency covered, he has already screwed up. Unfortunately, there are a lot of narcissistic dumbasses out there that think nothing bad is ever going to happen to them, not realizing we all wind up in a crap storm at some point in our lives.

Actually, yes they will and they do. It has happened numerous times here that I am aware of - and I bet there are many times I am not aware of.

Well, kudos to the insurance companies that sold those DAN insurance policies and did that because the common policy all must agree to doesn't cover it.

For those who think DAN is going to charter you a private med-evac jet back to the states from Coz in a medical emergency that is absolutely NOT going to happen.
Yep, if needed, they will. I saw a lady leave Coz that way once. Just have to ask DAN to arrange it, as they won't reimburse if you do.

My wife and I have been diving for 16 years and we have never wasted our $ on any form of dive insurance. If I had purchased DAN Guardian level at $125 per diver per year that would be $4,000 thrown away over the years for SECONDARY insurance.
At current rates: $55 family membership + 2x$40 Master plan x 16 years = $2160. If you took Preferred plan now available for 16 years = $3290. Yes, it is secondary insurance, and if you'd rather gamble on not needing it - fine. Let's just stick to facts for the benefit of the discussion.

It has been interesting and informative to read different opinions on diving insurance. I certainly see both sides to this issue. One of my reasons for getting DAN insurance is not only the added coverage, but that most facilities in dive areas are familiar with this insurer and there is less hassle. Is this true? Just curious.
Yep. If the facility demands payment upfront, DAN can be contacted to wire money.

I thought TravelAssist (which comes with DAN membership, not the insurance) actually took care of evac.

Join the Largest Scuba Diving Membership Organization in the World — DAN | Divers Alert Network
Yep.

Last edited:
I pay $200 for family pro membership. I spend more on gas fills per year. It’s less than a good night out for two.

I saw someone get hit with a $20,000 bill for a chamber ride because their free dive insurance didn’t cover the costs.

Everyone’s entitled to their choices, I’m secure in mine.

If someone gets stuck through no insurance they get no sympathy from me

Every LDS I've ever done a trip with and every live aboard I've ever been on has REQUIRED DAN dive insurance proof with current membership card showing current coverage. July 13th I'm flying to the Okeanos II Aggressor live aboard in Costa Rica (Guanacaste/Bat Islands), prior to the trip every diver fills out a GIS form online (diver profile) including a current DAN card membership card #, and must also present it to the crew in person or be denied boarding.

Everybody talks about DAN insurance, however, I chose DiveAssure. I am the person who reads insurance policies, which are written in small letters :) DAN provides different coverage (also different pricing) if you are based in US, Europe and Asia-Pacific region. Also, there are different coverage (non-diving accident included in one policy, in other they are not included and et.). I am currently based in Asia-Pacific region and was comparing DAN Asia-Pac and DiveAssure policies, coverage and pricing. DiveAssure was a better deal for me as it is PRIMARY insurance and in case something happens to you they pay directly to hospital. DAN covers your expenses in case Primary insurance does not cover them. Also, you might be required to pay bill first from your own pocket, submit docs to DAN and get reimbursement.

In my opinion, diving insurance is a must. You might dive for 20 years without any accident, however, if you have accident and a located in remote location, you might need helicopter to transfer you to appropriate facility. In this case costs could be astronomical.

Also, before purchasing any insurance, read in detail what is covered and what is not.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom