Course/LDS Recommendation for Austin, TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buhund

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greetings All,

My wife and I will be taking a trip to Cozumel next July. I have never dived but my wife is AOW (although she hasn't dived in a few years herself). Anyway, I am looking for some recommendations for a great place to get certified in Austin.

My original plan was to take a course next May or June so the information would be "fresh" in my mind for the trip in July. However reading the posts on this board has made me change my mind. My new plan is to get certified soon and then do some local lake dives to get at least some experience before making our trip.

I appreciate all your help.

Toms Dive and Swim.

My wife and I had fantastic instructors there. Neal Shutt and Nick Harper were our instructors and I highly recommend them. My wife and I were very comfortable in the water and I feel like they not only made sure we mastered the required skills, but challenged us with some extra scenarios based on our abilities and experience. See their website:

http://www.tomsscuba.com/

A second for Tom's. I didn't certify there, but have had great interactions with the staff.

BTW, good idea on getting some dives in, but don't get put off by the low vis lakes!

Third vote on Tom's Dive and Swim. Great staff, good indoor pool. Have used them for several friends and have bought a lot of gear all with good success and no complaints. You might also consider DiveWorld out on 620 depending on where you are located in our Central Texas Universe (but hey with our new toll roads you can get anywhere you want fast--right?!)

drdiver1952:
You might also consider DiveWorld out on 620

Just my experience, but don't go to DiveWorld if you don't like getting constant high-pressure sales pitches.

Thanks to everyone that has replied so far. It looks like I'd be leaning towards Tom's at this point. But if anyone has other suggestions I'd still love to hear them.

O2BBubbleFree: I can accept the fact that the lakes won't have good visibility. I mainly just want to get more experience so: 1) Cozumel is more enjoyable for me and 2) my inexperience doesn't detract from the enjoyment of the experienced divers that may be along.

drdiver1952: I'm in Pflugerville and LOVING the toll roads.

yeah, I'm loving those toll roads, too. Big improvement and long overdue. Can't say I've ever had a hard sell sales pitch at Dive World, but I'm sure it could happen. I've had some outstanding service there, especially in the area of gear repair. But you won't go wrong with Tom's.

ANother vote for Tom's here. They also offer refresher courses that your wife might be interested in, since she hasn't been diving in a few years. Two or three hours worth, little bit in the classroom and the rest in the pool to sharpen her skills.

ariadne76: Thanks for the reply. My wife is definitely going to take the refresher. Nice pic by the way....Hook 'em.

buhund:
O2BBubbleFree: I can accept the fact that the lakes won't have good visibility. I mainly just want to get more experience so: 1) Cozumel is more enjoyable for me and 2) my inexperience doesn't detract from the enjoyment of the experienced divers that may be along.

I'm all for that...

Just wanted to say something, 'cuz I know a couple of people who did their cert dives in Travis, then didn't think diving was much fun.

Back
Top Bottom