Cousteau the treasure hunter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

padrediver

Reaction score
Port Aransas,Texas Ft. Lauderdale,Florida
# of dives
100 - 199
Saw a post on the web, on a Cousteau interest site, that 'ol Jacques Yves made a secret fortune from his "side" treasure hunting operation. A lot of us always figured this was true, but does anyone have any info? It gives a whole new "special interest" meaning to "oceanography".

Cousteau wrote a book "Diving for Sunken Treasure" based on his 1968 search on the silver bank in the Carribean. The archeological techniquies and goals of the mission were acceptable for the time but were no doubt below the current standards today and he was pretty upfront about looking for a fortune in silver and gold.

It was not real secret and it was not exactly a side operation as Cousteau was into a lot of things other than pure oceanography. Cousteau also hosted and worked with geologists involved on offshore oil exploration so I think the view that his mission was always "pure" oceanography and conservation is flawed.

I also don't think it is fair to judge Cousteau for actions and decisions made 30 plus years ago with an ethical view that is much different today than it was then.

Well said, DA . . .
"The times, they are a'changin . . ."

As one who worked occasionally with the Cousteaus over the past 30 years, I totally agree with DM Aquamaster. When I started diving in the early 60's, most divers I knew were hunters (and I did a bit myself since the food in the school dining room was not always "fresh").

The times were indeed quite different back then. If Cousteau amassed money from fortune hunting or oil exploration (and undoubtedly used it to help fund his other work), that should not cause any concern. He did a lot of good with his other work.

Dr. Sylvia Earle (formerly chief scientist at NOAA and a real explorer/biologist in her own right, and former associate through my Cousteau work) has been doing a lot of commercials for oil companies recently. Of course her submersible products largely benefit oil exploration and military (naval) ops, but she has also done a lot of good science.

At times I wish I were more an economic realist!

Doc

drbill:
At times I wish I were more an economic realist!
Doc

I'd rather be stinkin' rich myself....... :D

I'm neither surprised nor unhappy at this "discovery". But as noted above, things change and attitudes change. He was still a major positive influance on many and worthy of rememberance.

As the others say, I for one will always admire and be thankful for M. Cousteau's great and varied contributions. One can't judge his actions regarding 'treasure hunting and/or oil exploration' by the standards of that era and compare them with those of today.

In the end, didn't we all benefit from it one way or the other? :06:

Maria

Dr. Bill, what an interesting life you have led.... if we ever meet one of these days, you'll have to elaborate on some of those experiences pls.
Maria

Maria-

My life has certainly been interesting (so far)... I seek out unusual experiences and would probably wither away and die if I were caged in a cubicle (as I have been on three occasions). Just hope my health continues to allow me the unusual in life!

Doc

I've read that JYC made about 23 million dollars on royalties from the aqualung. He also wrote about doing oil exploration and other commercial for money in his books. Pretty much all the proceeds, I believe, went into the work. One thing I respected about him was what I see as his fundamental honesty. He did fake sequences in his TV "documentaries," and when called on it he openly admitted it. (But hey, this isn't news footage. This is how films are made and anyone who thinks otherwise can stay in fairy land.) He objected to them being called "documentaries", since he saw them as what they were, loosely-based television reality shows. When he wrote about the same episodes in his books, the true story came out, really at odds with what we saw on the screen.

Times do change. Remember the first Undersea World on sharks in the mid 60's? They were slaughtering them on camera left and right. He also built undersea colonies with the hopes of helping man "exploit" the sea. On that too, the winds have changed, and later in life he thought we should protect rather than exploit.

I thought the treasure hunting episode was kind of a low blow in search of ratings. He always disavowed treasure hunting in his books.

Jean Michel was always a dark sheep. Never got along, was thrust into the role after Philippe died.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom