Cove 2 Divers Being Stupid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
I went to High School in Kodiak, AK and used to drive by that thing when it was being used as a cannary.

I agree, it'd look much better on the bottom...

I agree that the Kalakala would look better on the bottom than rusting pierside. My buddy who used to volunteer on it always disagreed with me on that.

It was always strange to drive around that deadmans curve in Kodiak and see it down at the bottom of the cliff. I always wanted to watch a crazy idiot launch their car off the cliff in an attempt to "make the ferry" :11:

BLT:
I agree that the Kalakala would look better on the bottom than rusting pierside. My buddy who used to volunteer on it always disagreed with me on that.

It was always strange to drive around that deadmans curve in Kodiak and see it down at the bottom of the cliff. I always wanted to watch a crazy idiot launch their car off the cliff in an attempt to "make the ferry" :11:

Man I bet it'd be fun to swim around inside the car deck if they sank it right...

Yesterday a group of divers, with help from the Seattle Police patrol boats, installed several new buoys along the boundary cable. The separation between the diveable side and the water taxi side is now very well marked. Hopefully this will help prevent some of the incidents of diver encroachment into the restricted zone.

Next time you see Randy Williams, Jack Connick, JD Rowe, or Kevin Casey ... give them a hearty thanks for their efforts. This work started around 7 AM and was just finishing up for the day when I left there around 8 PM ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Yesterday a group of divers, with help from the Seattle Police patrol boats, installed several new buoys along the boundary cable. The separation between the diveable side and the water taxi side is now very well marked. Hopefully this will help prevent some of the incidents of diver encroachment into the restricted zone.

Next time you see Randy Williams, Jack Connick, JD Rowe, or Kevin Casey ... give them a hearty thanks for their efforts. This work started around 7 AM and was just finishing up for the day when I left there around 8 PM ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Many thanks go to Jack Connick. He has been working extensively with the City to bring this about. He did a great job of working with the City to coordinate a very full day's worth of activity. The City workers gave us some excellent support for this project and it worked very well.

The promised surface buoys at Cove 2 & 3 have finally been placed. There are now 5 big Yellow buoys on the boundary line in Cove 2 and 3 more on the line in cove 3. Now divers can tell where the line is from the surface, it should help tremendously (I hope). Jack Connick has been working closely with the City parks Aquatic manager, Kathy Whitman to accomplish this. Jack and Kathy put in a lot of work to coordinate this effort so that we could mark locations, get the anchors transported and dropped off, rig the buoys, and place them, all in one day! A small team of us have been working this effort with the city for over 18 months now. We thought we would be able to place them last July until a small permitting problem shot us down.

We have placed many temporary buoys in the past, most of these buoys have been lost and replaced several times. This set of buoys however is rigged properly and should last a number of years.
Jack and Randy Williams (Starfish diving) placed the temporary markers yesterday. Based on the depths they recorded, Jack and I then rigged the buoys at the boat launch.
The city gave us excellent support yesterday. They closed off a ramp at Don Armeni for us. They transported and placed the buoys on that ramp. They supplied a City truck with a portable welder to tack weld the SS hardware on the buoys.
I put on the dive gear and drug the chains out into position to hook to the anchors. Great Vis, max 3 feet.
The Harbor Patrol used their boat to transport and place the assembled buoys at the temp marker positions within Coves 2 and 3.
Randy Williams, Kevin Casey and Norm Taylor took out the lift bags and did a bit of adjusting of the buoy positions in Cove 2.

Overall a well coordinated effort and a very productive day.

Well, let me offer my personal thanks to all of you who worked so hard to make this happen ... great job!

:D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The first time some one sees a big green cloud out in the water people will get the idea. Maybe a sign should be put up out of wood near the entry point to the site with a map of the site l;ike at edmonds. Or harbor patrol will just have to start fining people. But to tell you the truth no matter what you do people will always swim or go where they are not suppose to go that is the way it goes it seems.

I have missed so much being out of state the past 3 weeks. I was planning on diving this weekend and now I am thinking I need to revisit Cove #2 just to see the changes.
I guess I will never be able to leave town again.. They always change stuff when I am gone.
I have noticed divers violating the no dive zone almost every time I have dove Cove#2. I am glad to hear that something has been done. I love diving this site and would hate to have it closed due the behaior of a few ignorant divers.

i wondered one thing, who paid for the buoys, labor, etc..?

With this being Seattle, I am willing to bet that we all paid for the stuff.
Someone please tell me was this my tax dollars at work????
Or do I need to thank some hard working dive club?

Back
Top Bottom