Covid-19 and Cayman travel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm wondering if I actually live on the same island as some of the writers above. Live & work as a diver on Grand Cayman and don't even recognise some of what is being said. Of course some businesses have taken a hit, but others are 100% running. I went out last night and had to sit in a different space for a while until people left and I could go where I wanted. (ie. they were busy) Have been grocery shopping today and was able to get everything I needed plus more. The staff at Fosters worked all yesterday (Sunday) to restock the shelves and this morning they were full. I heard about toilet paper shortages last week and so went to see if I could buy some - and yes I could, in the first store that I drove to. We have had just one case of the virus here, and if people are sensible about washing their hands and sanitising their dive gear I would say it's actually a great time to visit. Get some sun, stock up on vitamin D, and take advantage of (relatively) quiet dive boats and the cheap flights.

For those focusing on key indicators, Fosters shelves were totally stocked with toilet paper this morning! At least one small (but important) experience remains normal.

Also local free testing started this morning, so if anything from the original cruise ship passenger spreads, at least the government can now test and react more quickly.

upload_2020-3-16_12-16-44.jpeg
. This is what is currently making the rounds. Have no idea if it is true

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-16_12-16-44.png
    upload_2020-3-16_12-16-44.png
    294.4 KB · Views: 56
Having worked and lived on the beautiful Cayman Islands, I wish the local diving community and my many friends there all the best in these difficult times.

I think that as Cayman diving industry it best to stand together and be transparant. Therefore I would suggest to only report actual facts, and refrain from posting rumours and subjective reports (either overly positive or negative). This to best inform the many visitors what is actually happening on the island.

Misinformation can only hurt the island and the community.

All the best to all on the islands, and the many visitors that hopefully can visit again soon.

EDIT::

BREAKING: Air travel in and out of Cayman will be shut down for three weeks in an effort to slow the spread of the coronavirus.

The air traffic closure starts from Sunday 11.59pm and covers both the Owen Roberts International Airport in Grand Cayman and the Charles Kirkconnell International Airport on the Brac.

Effective this afternoon, anyone who arrives on island will be required to isolate for 14 days.

Email from Clearly Cayman. I would imagine that everyone else will have to shut down also:

Given the extraordinary spread of COVID-19 across the planet, today (Monday, March 16) the Cayman Islands government announced that all international flights to and from the Islands will be suspended on Sunday, March 22, for 3 weeks, although they have left open options to extend as the conditions in the future may warrant. As a result, we have no other option than to temporarily close our resorts, Little Cayman Beach Resort, Cayman Brac Beach Resort and Cobalt Coast Resort, beginning on Thursday, March 19, 2020. We will be working with our current guests to facilitate their evacuation prior to the Sunday deadline and to allow our team members to make their departure plans as needed.

We commend the Cayman Islands government on their aggressive steps to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus. We are hopeful that their early, aggressive action will shorten the shutdown period and allow us to get back to providing you, our guests, with the best dive hospitality in the Caribbean.

Our reservations office Reef Fantaseas, located in Saint Petersburg, Florida, is in the process of contacting all guests and group travel partners with upcoming reservations during the impacted period. We are waiving the change fees and are offering all guests the opportunity to rebook their vacation without penalty at the same guaranteed rate for any available date up two years from their original travel date. Guests will not be charged any additional amounts for changing their reservations to a future period.

For those guests with reservations outside of the impacted period, please know that we are closely monitoring the situation in the United States and in the Cayman Islands. We will provide ongoing updates as they are available in the weeks ahead. If your travel plans are impacted by future closures, please know that we will protect your reservation by waiving change fees and allowing you to select alternate travel dates in any available periods for up to two years from your original travel date as well.

This remains a dynamic and highly fluid situation that continues to deeply impact families across the globe. Our priority throughout this crisis remains the safety of our guests and team members and we will take whatever steps are required to accomplish this goal. At the same time, we are committed to welcoming guests as soon as the Caymans reopen to international flights and we are given the “all clear” from Government officials.

As this situation continues to develop, we will provide you with further updates and policy changes based upon the recommendations of governmental agencies, health organizations and other experts. If you have further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call our US reservations office at 800-327-3835.

Our team looks forward to welcoming you to our beautiful islands where you can once again enjoy the underwater wonders that have made the Cayman Islands a diver’s paradise.

2d8d3579-2692-460e-bd95-7cbee7549205.png

Michael D. Tibbetts
Chairman of the Board

b3a65814-fcbf-4fb7-8560-545ef6b6fd2f.png

Bradley Barnett
President

Sadly this is no surprise. It has been generally known since Friday. Many tourist related businesses have been advising staff since last week. Layoffs were already happening. My heart goes out to all those who will have to leave within the week.

A slightly more detailed summary of the travel ban
  • As of March 19th Owen Roberts Airport will be closed to all all inbound international flights
  • As of 23:59 hrs on March 22 Owen Roberts Airport will be closed to all outbound flights
  • These closures will be in effect until April 12 at 23:59 hrs. This end date will be revisited toward the time
  • As of 2 pm March 15th anyone arriving to Cayman must undergo voluntary self isolation for 14 days

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom