Covid surging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sort of a serious question (and sort of not) I wonder if I brought a couple of lab antigen test boxes, my credentials, office lab forms to complete and did the testing in the airport lounge in front of the airline carrier, would it qualify?

What agency verifies the test?
Interesting question. Since it is the airline that is on the hook if your test is NOT accepted -- they have to send you back home at their cost -- I suspect it is the airline that will decide if the test is valid or not.

My guess is NONE of the airlines will fly US.>Bonaire until THEY have a way to provide the test, presumably at OUR cost. And to keep it simple, they will require THEIR test, done by THEM, no matter what credentials and test you bring with you.

At the end of the day, nothing is in place to prevent anyone from faking results. Either the people who decided to mandate this knew what they were doing and did it intentionally as a backdoor ban, or they just didn't think at all.

At the end of the day, nothing is in place to prevent anyone from faking results.

I’m trying hard to understand this but it just doesn’t make any sense. Could you elaborate on who could be faking test results. Motive for faking, I understand. But opportunity I think does not exist under the current requirements and process.

Either the people who decided to mandate this knew what they were doing and did it intentionally as a backdoor ban

And this just sounds like paranoia.

What I see is Bonaire is getting their infections under control nicely and the island will soon be 95%+ vaccinated and then some of us in the US are going to be headed there this summer with legitimately completed tests. Got my tickets and fingers crossed.

I’m trying hard to understand this but it just doesn’t make any sense. Could you elaborate on who could be faking test results. Motive for faking, I understand. But opportunity I think does not exist under the current requirements and process.

What I see is Bonaire is getting their infections under control nicely and the island will soon be 95%+ vaccinated and then some of us in the US are going to be headed there this summer with legitimately completed tests. Got my tickets and fingers crossed.
Europol warns of boom in sale of fake negative Covid certificates

There have already been requests not to post photos on social media of the USA vaccine certificates because of the risk for forgeries.

What agency verifies the test?

I suspect the bigger problem is what airline employees will be willing to testify they watched you carefully the entire time and you have not double-dealt in someone else's spit, pulled the "negative" litmus paper out of your sleeve, and so on. My guess is, not a single one.

Of course it exists. I have 20 test results in my own files. (I'm a healthcare worker that works with C19+ patients daily, so I get tested a lot.). I've had everything from blood draw tests for antibodies to nasal swabs, to finger sticks. it's as simple as faking that sheet of paper with date, time, and even results if needed modified to match.

It's not paranoia if it makes complete sense. Obviously the result is effectively a flight ban. Upon announcement of the 4hour test requirement, all 3 US Airlines cancelled flights. The government can say they're open all they want if the in place restrictions keep the airlines from flying.

Of course it exists. I have 20 test results in my own files. (I'm a healthcare worker that works with C19+ patients daily, so I get tested a lot.). I've had everything from blood draw tests for antibodies to nasal swabs, to finger sticks. it's as simple as faking that sheet of paper with date, time, and even results if needed modified to match.

It's not paranoia if it makes complete sense. Obviously the result is effectively a flight ban. Upon announcement of the 4hour test requirement, all 3 US Airlines cancelled flights. The government can say they're open all they want if the in place restrictions keep the airlines from flying.
All should note it is not Bonaire who has this requirement; it is the Netherlands, and Bonaire is subject to their restrictions.

The reason I say paranoia is that I don’t believe anyone "wants" a ban. What every country wants is to ensure as much as possible a healthy visitor. Policy decisions often do cause situations to change from impossible to feasible, so that is a legitimate reason to implement seemingly insurmountable requirements.

I understand what you are saying re: forgeries of the test record. When you said "faking results" I interpreted that as implying there was some gaming of the test itself. Thanks for clarifying. Perhaps someone will come up with some electronic results or methods for a 4 hour test managed by the airlines that will be more resistant to forged documents.

I have no evidence but I would be willing to bet money that the number of forged test results that are actually used by people going to Bonaire will be inconsequential.

Lastly, once everyone on Bonaire is vaccinated, I predict they aren’t going to care about the people who have such low integrity that they would risk faking test reports to go to Bonaire. Call me an ignorant optimist, but I believe we are rounding the corner.

ETA: thanks to you Dusty for battling it out on the "front lines". You guys are the heroes.

Here's a web page which lays out the availability of testing on Bonaire, which is focused on getting departing travelers to their flights with all necessary testing and documentation, and includes both appointments and come-to-your-hotel. Given late-afternoon departures, it all seems manageable. COVID-19 PCR Testing on Bonaire - Bon Bida Bonaire

Here's a web page which lays out the availability of testing on Bonaire, which is focused on getting departing travelers to their flights with all necessary testing and documentation, and includes both appointments and come-to-your-hotel. Given late-afternoon departures, it all seems manageable. COVID-19 PCR Testing on Bonaire - Bon Bida Bonaire
Agreed. Getting back to the US from Bonaire seems well in hand. It is getting TO Bonaire that has the issues, mainly the 4h antigen test.

Back
Top Bottom