Covid surging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

End of January report.
Things are looking good.
Current number of active infections down, new daily infections down.
upload_2021-2-1_14-35-47.png

upload_2021-2-1_14-36-0.png

Remaining major problem is the requirement for an antigen test no older than 4 hours prior to departure of the last flight segment to Bonaire. At this time, I see no way to get this test if you are connecting through IAH, EWR, ATL, or MIA. One hopes this requirement will go away, or that the airlines will figure out how to provide the test.

Minor problem is the re-entry to the US after the trip. Bonaire seems to be doing fine on getting ready for the necessary testing at exit, but the CDC/White-House requirement for 7-10-14 days self-quarantine upon return is going to be tough for some travelers to do, especially if they have to go back to work and not be at home.

I don’t think they have made the self quarantine mandatory yet. No way they can even remotely enforce it either.

the antigen test is the problem right now. Hopefully Miami International will make it happen.

I don’t think they have made the self quarantine mandatory yet. No way they can even remotely enforce it either.

the antigen test is the problem right now. Hopefully Miami International will make it happen.

Agree regarding policing. However, if you work in an office environment and your company knowingly allows you to return to that office in violation of quarantine, I believe that meets standard negligence principles and a PI attorney would have a fun day if you were positive and infected others. Lots of other issues - but interesting nonetheless.

Enforcement is the same as speeding and parking. Periodic law enforcement audits with large financial penalty if caught during audit.

Totally agree there. It seems like more of something to hold over your head in case you mess up than something that will be actively enforced.

The Executive Order says (my highlights):
Sec. 5. International Travel.
(a) Policy.It is the policy of my Administration that, to the extent feasible, travelers seeking to enter the United States from a foreign country shall be:
(i) required to produce proof of a recent negative COVID-19 test prior to entry; and
(ii) required to comply with other applicable CDC guidelines concerning international travel,
including recommended periods of self-quarantine or self-isolation after entry into the
United States.​
It goes on to say
The Secretary of HHS, in coordination with the Secretary of Transportation (including through the Administrator of the FAA) and the Secretary of Homeland Security (including through the Administrator of the TSA), shall promptly provide to the President, through the COVID-19 Response Coordinator, a plan for how the Secretary and other Federal Government actors could implement the policy stated in subsection (a) of this section with respect to CDC-recommended periods of self-quarantine or self-isolation after a flight to the United States from a foreign country, as he deems appropriate and consistent with applicable law. The plan shall identify agencies’ tools and mechanisms to assist travelers in complying with such policy.​

This not an idle threat. Stand by.

The home test kits coming out hopefully soon will solve the 4 hour test as well as reentry to the USA.
Bonaire government says home tests are not valid; implication is that the tests must be professionally administered, for entry to Bonaire.

Bonaire government says home tests are not valid; implication is that the tests must be professionally administered, for entry to Bonaire.
Do they say that for both the tests??? I would have assumed that the PCR test would be through a lab, but the new home antigen tests should be fine. I hope they reconsider.

Do they say that for both the tests??? I would have assumed that the PCR test would be through a lab, but the new home antigen tests should be fine. I hope they reconsider.
They specifically were talking about the antigen test....
This was received by someone who contacted the Health Dept in Bonaire:
145640158_4980949775280440_3504556856713711183_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom