Covid testing in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It appears that there continues to be some misunderstanding regarding Covid-19 vaccination. The two vaccines currently available in the US are very effective in reducing symptomatic infection, but symptomatic infection still occurs. The vaccines are very, very, effective in reducing severe disease. Asymptomatic infection after vaccination certainly occurs, but was not specifically investigated in the Pfizer or Moderna clinical trials. Vaccinated individuals with symptomatic or asymptomatic infection are likely able to transmit virus, the risk may be different than in unvaccinated individuals.

So, vaccinated individuals are still at some risk for infection, from unvaccinated or vaccinated people, and are still able to potentially transmit virus to others. Therefore, it is prudent to continue to follow masking, social distancing, handwashing and avoidance of risk gatherings to complement the ever growing number of individuals who have been vaccinated.

Diagnostic testing in vaccinated individuals is still done, as in travel regulations, to identify people with asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic infection. A PCR test has better sensitivity over an antigen test.

Not trying to be argumentative at all here...

Parvo is a deadly dog disease that is everywhere from my understanding - does my vaccinated dog carry it still?

Polio, measels and what not - did those diseases just ween out over long periods of time because everyone was vaccinated? I think we still hear of small outbreaks or am I mistaken?

The Flu every year, vaccinated people, do they still carry it and transmit it?

Again, not trying to be argumentative, trying to better understand and decide for myself here in Mexico. We do not have the same options you have in the US - we have the Russian, Chinese and another version..... I have never had a flu shot... Beating and pounding on wood, I tend not to get sick even when I worked indoors/outdoors year round in Michigan. I am seriously on the fence about getting this vaccine and honestly, probably would be too even if I lived in the US...... I am in no way some anti vaxxer but I wonder - my opinion in April was very much different than it is today and yes, I've seen 40 year old healthy people and older adults die from this disease, it just seems so hit or miss....

About a month ago I completed both vaccines. My husband has not. He is on the county registry list, but being in his 50's and no chronic health conditions, it may still be a while before he gets his vaccination. As for Covid transmission in those who have received the vaccine, who knows. It is too early and not researched enough to know with full certainty. This link does a good job explaining this conundrum.
Can You Still Spread Covid-19 After You Get Vaccinated?

Parvo is a deadly dog disease that is everywhere from my understanding - does my vaccinated dog carry it still?

Polio, measels and what not - did those diseases just ween out over long periods of time because everyone was vaccinated? I think we still hear of small outbreaks or am I mistaken?

Again, not trying to be argumentative, trying to better understand and decide for myself here in Mexico. We do not have the same options you have in the US - we have the Russian, Chinese and another version..... I have never had a flu shot... Beating and pounding on wood, I tend not to get sick even when I worked indoors/outdoors year round in Michigan. I am seriously on the fence about getting this vaccine and honestly, probably would be too even if I lived in the US...... I am in no way some anti vaxxer but I wonder - my opinion in April was very much different than it is today and yes, I've seen 40 year old healthy people and older adults die from this disease, it just seems so hit or miss....

What’s the other version?

Circulating influenza strains vary quite dramatically every year and must be covered in the available vaccines. It is not clear yet whether this is applicable to Covid-19. If I were you, I would pursue vaccination.

I have always heard that European explorers brought smallpox to the western hemisphere. It seems unlikely to me that anyone with an active case of smallpox would have survived the voyage so there must have been latent carriers aboard. I don't know about smallpox but I have heard that there are still minor outbreaks of polio in the Middle East.

Your post suggests otherwise.

Not at all - I've never gotten a flu shot because pounding on wood, I don't get the flu, I rarely get much more than the common cold although vertigo one year kicked my ass. I'm 54 and have worked outdoors in all weather for the over 20 years but Covid isn't the flu... Will it pass into history and not be around in a year or two?

What’s the other version?

The other version is I hate freakin needles and doctors and despise the thought of something from China or Russia being injected in me..... Can I ride this out a year and be OK? I live a life of solitude in paradise LOL....

Back
Top Bottom