Coz first-timer...questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbdivechic

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so we're gonna be making our first trip to Cozumel in June and are very excited. However, I recently saw news reports about the risk to tourists in Mexico, so I'm wondering about the safety in Coz. Well, actually I get the feeling that Cozumel is safe, but we are planning a tour to Chichen Itza. How safe is this drive? We're going to book a tour rather than drive it ourselves. Has anyone had any bad experiences with excursions?

Also, how safe is the water at the Wyndham? Should we avoid ice (makes for a not so refreshing fruity cocktail!), tea, and anything that has water in it? Or do they take necessary precautions?

And what about vaccinations? Are they needed?

I know I sound paranoid, but this is our first trip outside the US and I'm not sure what to expect. I really don't want to get a stomach bug the first day there and not be able to enjoy the dives...or get robbed and not be able to afford the dives! :D

Any pointers will be helpful!

I've had ice tea all over the island on numerous trips there and never once
caught a bug. Ask me after tomorrow about the ice at Wyndham! 14 hours
till touchdown! Wooooot! :D

I was in Cozumel Jan 19 - 25. I stayed at Scuba Club Cozumel. This was my second year. I felt safe the entire time I was there. I shopped in the market, walked around San Miguel. I am sure you will have a good time.
While in a resort or restaurant, the water served for drinking, including ice, will be fine. The businesses understand the need for clean water. Many people visit San Miguel daily. It is a regular stop for the cruises. They will use safe water and make safe ice cubes. However, I would watch the tap water. If you are concerned, you will find many places to buy bottled water.

I have not found the time to visit Chichen Itza, rather diving every possible day. Maybe someone else can speak to that trip. You need to take the ferry, rent a car. My guess is the drive is at least 3 hours from the ferry.

Cozumel is a nice place. I am sure you will have a great time .

I would not worry about the drinks or ice. I used to get sick down there, but I found out what was causing it. I would buy a bottle of water from the Chedrau and keep refilling it with the water coolers that were setup everywhere at the hotel. It turns out that by doing that it actually allowed bacteria to grow inside the water bottle making it more dangerous than the tap water. So just buy multiple bottles, they are like 1/10 the price of bottled water here.

I can't say for Chichen-Itza, but me and a friend went over and took a city bus to Tulum a couple years ago. Saved A LOT of money and was comfortable. Air conditioned buses and even a movie to watch.

You are safer in the Yucatan than you are in South Florida. Have a great time and don't worry so much. Don't drink tap water. Ice and drinks in the hotels/restaurants is purified and safe. Vaccinations are not required, but I keep my Hepatitis current here in Los Angeles...

We are leaving on our fourth Coz trip in May if that tells you anything. My fiance and I have never felt unsafe ANYWHERE in Coz. If you went to a border town in Mexico, I'd be fearful, but you really don't need to worry about Coz. Plus you have to remember that if something happens to a tourist down there, that could have a severe impact on the local economy.

As for the water/ice. I've never had a problem with hotel water or water from Mezcalitos or Coconuts. The only beef I have with the hotel water where we stay at is it never gets cold! Frustrating when I want a late night sip :D

The first time we went to Coz, we booked a trip to Xel-Ha from the lobby. It was a lot of fun and we would go back to Xel-ha again. Of course we would rent our own car and do it for half the cost. But if you don't know the land or are unsure of anything, definitely book through a tour group.

...How safe is this drive? We're going to book a tour rather than drive it ourselves. Has anyone had any bad experiences with excursions?

I'll echo the sentiments here. Cancun and Cozumel are generally VERY safe. The drive to Chichen Itza is also perfectly safe and the excursions are a fine way to travel. You'll most likely have a few other friendly tourist faces around you and you can band together. Mexico's crime is more focused on the bigger cities and not Cancun, and especially not Cozumel. Cozumel has a small population and not much crime because of the nature of the fact that it's an island... Everybody knows everybody and there's not many places to run or hide.

Also, how safe is the water at the Wyndham? Should we avoid ice (makes for a not so refreshing fruity cocktail!), tea, and anything that has water in it? Or do they take necessary precautions?

Precautions are taken, water is purified, you have nothing to worry about with ice or water.

Vaccinations are absolutely NOT needed. You will be absolutely fine and you have literally nothing to worry about. If you MUST worry about something, bring some bug spray like Off or Deet or one of those, to help keep the mosquitoes away if you hang out in garden areas at night or if you decide to go for a jungle hike. It is a tropical island of course! You can buy it in Cozumel, too, but it's cheap enough here and your local supermarket probably has better selection.

Hope this helps!

P.S. Nice avatar!

Okay, so we're gonna be making our first trip to Cozumel in June and are very excited. However, I recently saw news reports about the risk to tourists in Mexico, so I'm wondering about the safety in Coz. Well, actually I get the feeling that Cozumel is safe, but we are planning a tour to Chichen Itza. How safe is this drive? We're going to book a tour rather than drive it ourselves. Has anyone had any bad experiences with excursions?

I know I sound paranoid, but this is our first trip outside the US and I'm not sure what to expect. I really don't want to get a stomach bug the first day there and not be able to enjoy the dives...or get robbed and not be able to afford the dives! :D

Any pointers will be helpful!

Take the same safety precautions you would anywhere else. In fact I feel safer walking around San Miguel at night than I do in my own neighborhood. There are people out and about in the town there and usually some activity. The only safety tip I have that is remotely related is establish prices before you buy anything or get in a taxi. This concern however applies to all places you go as well, especially tourist areas.

As far as health issues, again the same as you would otherwise. No worries about the water. Ice is fine and the water served in the restaurants is purified. If you have concern get bottled. Immunizaitons....Perhaps make sure your tetanus is up to date. Most importantly, and something we all should do more of is to wash your hands often. You may want to bring a small first aid kit and few OTC meds such as Tylenol, Advil, Immodium and Benedryl. Although, all of these items can be purchased in Cozumel. I just have a small kit prepared for the middle of the night stuff. There are medical services easily available on the island. Also, don't forget Water friendly Sunscreen and protective clothing.

I'm sorry I can not help with travel to the Mainland. I have only made it as far as the beach on an SI. Maybe someday DH and I will venture out.

Continue to search Scubaboard for more tips and also check out www.cozumelmycozumel. Have a wonderful time on your trip to Cozumel. SS

Thank you all for your responses! You all said exactly what I expected (and hoped) you'd say. We're very excited about our visit to Cozumel....we'll probably end up addicted like many of you.

A friend of mine met Jacques Cousteau's son and asked him what his favorite dive location is. His response was none other than Cozumel....no surprise for many of you, I'm sure!

I've got an idea for you. First of all, check the thread on this board titled "Mainland Ferry Question". I've made the tour to Chichen Itza and it is a spectacular ruin, one of the best in Mexico. There are tours via bus, mainly running out of Cancun.

I'd make my first trip down to Tulum via rental car from Playa. The trip to Chichen Itza is daunting for a first timer. You would be better off getting familiar with the mainland and understanding what is involved in making that kind of day trip. The tips in the "Mainland Ferry Question" are quite good and may help you get started on whatever mainland tour you choose.

Back
Top Bottom