Coz rent a car

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfproul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I 've just look at prices to rent a car in Cozumel and its very low and i was
wondering if it would be practical to have a car or there is not much to see
around , i ' ve never been there so i have no idea . is it safe ? anyone have bad experience in Cozumel ?

thanks

I went there in '04 (there are certainly others with far more Cozumel experience). We just took a cab- we were a good-sized walk from town- down at the Villa Blanca across from Papa Hogs. The walk was probably 30 minutes one way (wear good shoes!) and a cab ride was about $1 (US). The prices may have gone up- I don't know- but I doubt it's much.

Who wants to drive in a unfamiliar city in a foreign country? Not me!

Oh- couple things I remember that I wish I'd known ahead of time.

1. Don't get sucked in by the guys trying to flag you down at the airport. Just take the airport shuttle to your hotel- it's a lot cheaper. Someone else can fill you in on the details- I don't remember what the guys flagging us down were doing exactly, but we stayed away and that was a good thing.

2. If you get a phone card, be aware that you probably have to use it in a special phone that the card plugs into. You can't just buy a phone card and use the numbers from your hotel room- at least not the one we bought.

3. Don't bother to exchange your money- unless someone with more experience begs to differ with me, I recall that everything was cheap and everyone accepts US cash. Okay, maybe the exchange rate isn't the best if you do it that way, but it's a lot easier than exchanging- imo.

We rent a car everytime we visit Cozumel. We use Rentadora Isis in town. Margarita has always been great to do business with. We usually rent a VW beetle that runs between $210-$220 including insurance for a week. The low prices that you see on the net from the car rental companys do not include the Mexican insurance which I would recomend IMHO. The insurance adds alot to your final weekly or daily rate. We like the flexibility that comes with having a car. Love going to the beach on the east side and exploring the island. We go where we want to go when we want to. We have always followed the rules of the road in Mexico, do not drink and drive and have never had a problem. Whatever you decide, have a great vacation.

I use Isis also. Her rates include the insurance and tax. Those low rates of others don't include the insurance. There is a mandatory $11 liability, and also the tax. Most will try to sell another $25 collision/comprehensive insurance also.

BTW you American insurance is no good there. North South streets have right of way, East West you must stop at each intersection.

If you never been to Cozumel best not to rent the first couple days. Look at the driving patterns the first few days then rent. Believe me it is a new experience. You must be aware of locals on scooters everywhere and they zip in and out. Lane usage is none existence as are signals. Any mishap will be your fault and you must settle all monetary actions before you leave the island.

For things to see there are tours.

BTW Check any rental before you take possession. Mark down any ( I DO MEAN ANY) defect you see on the car, as well as check for spare and jack. If you don't mark it down - when you return the car you will be paying for that repair.

The low rate does not include liability insurance. Your visa or master card cover for collision damage, but only for your own rental car.... Not for damage to other people, car, animal, or structures.

With liability insurance added, your price would double. I would not buy only collision damage for your car, as you are just duplicating insurance. Actually, you will be VOIDING the collision damage insurance provided by your credit card, which many cases has no deductible.

If you buy insurance, make sure that it is liability insurance and cover damage both to your car and to any thing you struck. And count on it doubling your cost. Your own autoinsurance might cover you also, you'd have to contact them. My insurance, USAA, only cover you if you are like within 100 mile from the US border in Mexico. So Cozumel would not be in that territory.

We rented an old old VW from Isis. They did not run our credit card until about 3 months after we returned. A little unusual. No radio, no air, but it served us well - the old stick shift.

Anyone used avis there at the airport? Any good or bad comments?

Countdown to: Cozumel...

11 days 1 hour 21 minutes and 9 seconds

BTW Check any rental before you take possession. Mark down any ( I DO MEAN ANY) defect you see on the car, as well as check for spare and jack. If you don't mark it down - when you return the car you will be paying for that repair.

I use a tip I learned right here on the Coz board EVERYTIME I rent a car now (in addition to marking things on paper). Whip out your digital point and shoot camera and very obviously to the rental staff take pictures of everything you see in, around, and on the car. I've never had a problem previous to doing this, but since it costs me nothing but a couple of minutes (and not 35mm film like in the old days) I think it goes a long way to putting a potentially crooked staff member of the rental car company on notice that I'm not the guy to try to screw with. :14:

Anyone used avis there at the airport? Any good or bad comments?
Rented a car from Avis as part of a hotel/car package deal on our recent March trip. The original rental was thru Orbitz. When I got to Coz, the Avis staff at the airport were very nice (if a little slow, but heck - it's island time!) The car we had was a 2007 Chevy Chevy - a little hatchback. Had air conditioning, radio, great brakes and a smooth clutch. We fit 4 good sized suitcases, and my 6'4" hubby in - no problem. After having rented a VW bug for a day on an earlier trip - this little car drove like a dream. Had no problems all week - and I did all the driving. It was a big $16 to fill the tank the night before heading back to the airport. Once at the airport, the Avis staff were fairly quick to check over the car, and complete the paperwork. (Well quick, by island standards!:wink:) Would have no problem using Avis again to rent a car, especially if we're staying further out of town like this trip, where we were at Fiesta Americana.

I use a tip I learned right here on the Coz board EVERYTIME I rent a car now (in addition to marking things on paper). Whip out your digital point and shoot camera and very obviously to the rental staff take pictures of everything you see in, around, and on the car. I've never had a problem previous to doing this, but since it costs me nothing but a couple of minutes (and not 35mm film like in the old days) I think it goes a long way to putting a potentially crooked staff member of the rental car company on notice that I'm not the guy to try to screw with. :14:
I had forgotten about this tip, but I will say, the Avis guy actually pointed out and marked down a few scratches that I missed when we picked up the car, so I wasn't worried about any funny business with them.

Back
Top Bottom