Coz Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BetterLateThannever

Contributor
Reaction score
I just recently returned from a 5 day cruise on the Carnival Celebration out of Galveston, TX. Spent all day Monday 10/15 in Coz and got in 2 dives with Papa Hog's.

Mike and Margaret were in Canada that day so I won't hold the experience against them. The dives were great for someone with my novice status. The first dive was the Paraiso Reef, the 2nd was Villa Blanca Wall.

On the first dive depth was 60fsw for 40min, 3 divemasters with 5 divers. As I was the odd man out I had a divemaster Tony assigned to me. I really enjoyed the dive once I got over the initial intimidation factor of diving in the ocean for the first time:). Saw lots of fish and reef.

On the second dive went to 72fsw for 30min, just myself and divemaster Tony. On this dive I saw a nurse shark, ray (don't know what kind; it was light brown in color with white spots), eel, and a little, black seahorse. Current seemed about 5knots which allowed me to experience true flight for the first time. My only complaint is that I felt I was diving solo. On this second dive, Tony was usually hanging behind me about 50 to 60ft. I kept turning and finning into the current to allow him to close the distance, but he inevitably drifted back way behind me. And no, I was not finning away from him. No need to use them with that current. He just seemed to have no interest in staying in close proximity. Also, he had no interest in a safety stop. He ascended to the surface and just waved at me to come on up. Of course, I refused until I had completed my 5 minutes at 12fsw.

I guess they dive so much they feel that a dive like that one doesn't require a safety stop, but why chance it?

All in all a great experience! Can't wait to get back.

Nice report, The Original BLT (not the sandwich)...ah, sweet words!...Glad you liked Coz...next time you go, let me recommend a shop where they are just a little more solicitous!

And looks like we got another DO It Correctly The Board Way (DICTBW) guy: you took care of your own safety! Nice job!

See you around...

Joewr...check here later....

Great report hun!

Pleased you had a good time.....and pleased you didnt follow in the bad foot steps on your DM who obviously lost interest in the second dive !!!!

Anyway, glad you had a good trip -x- :)

Jim,
Glad to see you're back. I missed you! Sounds like a nice trip. I was wondering if you asked Tony why he stayed so far back. Anyway, it's great that you took your stop. Especially since you dove deeper on the 2nd dive, then the first.
So where's your next trip?
:sunny:

Yep,

It was so much fun, gonna do it again. My wife and I decided we are going to make the same trip only this time take the boys.

No, I didn't ask Tony why he didn't practice proper safety; I, like Abby, just assumed he had lost interest in diving for the day. It was about 5:00pm by the time we got back to dock and he didn't waste any time getting out and gone.

Again, though, the good far outweighed the bad for my first saltwater dive.

Joewr, I had originally set that day up with Scuba with Alison. Unfortunately, just a few days before I departed she emailed me to cancel our dives due to health problems. I believe she would have been good to dive with based on reviews I have read. I'll probably try her again next time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom