Coz. Resort Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SterlingDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greeting All,

I have been lurking around for a few weeks and decided I ought to join the land of the living. I really enjoy this board and have grown fond of a the personality's that hang out here.

Could I impose on your great wisdom and experiance to help me make my final decision were to stay for a week in Cozumel in July of '04? When it is just my spouse and myself we always go firstclass all the way, but, like it will be on this trip we are taking the whole crew, seven of us (six divers, one future diver age 8), costs start to become an issue.

What would be your best recommendations for a an all-inclusive type resort (or alternate if you have a better idea) on the high to high-moderate price scale for my family? Any input would be most appreciated. We are looking for the best overall value.

BTW, we all have been to Coz. once on a day trip from a cruise ship, the diving (Diving with Martin) was fantastic!

Thank You,

SterlingDiver :jump:

Use the search function and run a search in MX for Resorts, Hotels, etc. There are more posts than you can count on the subject.

There are lots of choices, but high end possibilities include the El Presidente (not all-inclusive, but has a meal plan option), and the all-inclusives Occidental Grand & Iberostar. All are in the far south & short boat trips to the popular reefs. Onsite dive op at Presidente, Scuba Du, is recommended. Onsite at Occidental Dive Palacar is decent. Onsite at Iberostar, Dressel Divers, not recommended. As you have 70+ dive ops to chose from on Coz, nearly all of whom will pick you up at your hotel pier, this is not a problem.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I'd really like to recomend you avoid all inclusive resorts in Coz. I went that route the first time and never will again.

First of all, there are all inclusives and there are all inclusives. The best I've been to is the Westin on St. Thomas which is, as you put it, first class all the way. You can get gormet meals nightly and good quality alchlol. My Coz experience with all inclusive is, tiny watered down drinks, mediocre food, and, my personal favorite: We chose a resort who's website talked about their wine list in their "nice" restraunt. The first night we asked for a wine list and the response was "red or white?". My sister-in-law was really impressed they had 2 wine lists and asked for white. Out came a generic caraf with generic white wine.

The second, and most important reason you want to avoid all inclusive in Coz is that the local food is incredible! Don't pigenhole yourself into eating at a resort when there is wonderfull (and cheap) food all over the island. Trust me on this, do a search of Cozumel Restraunts and try them. You will not be disappointed.

Since you are looking for a family, personally I would suggest you look into renting some of the nicer houses on the island. There is another thread around somewhere discussing those options.

James

The Occidental Grand is first class lodging, food, & activities. The in house dive op is quite adequate. They do all single tank dives (2 AM, & 2 PM) and you can pick & choose as you like including doing only 1 dive. While I didn't have any children there, it looked like they had a good nanny service - kids & nanny all looked like they were enjoying it.

James Goddard once bubbled...
I'd really like to recomend you avoid all inclusive resorts in Coz. I went that route the first time and never will again.

First of all, there are all inclusives and there are all inclusives. The best I've been to is the Westin on St. Thomas which is, as you put it, first class all the way. You can get gormet meals nightly and good quality alchlol. My Coz experience with all inclusive is, tiny watered down drinks, mediocre food, and, my personal favorite: We chose a resort who's website talked about their wine list in their "nice" restraunt. The first night we asked for a wine list and the response was "red or white?". My sister-in-law was really impressed they had 2 wine lists and asked for white. Out came a generic caraf with generic white wine.

The second, and most important reason you want to avoid all inclusive in Coz is that the local food is incredible! Don't pigenhole yourself into eating at a resort when there is wonderfull (and cheap) food all over the island. Trust me on this, do a search of Cozumel Restraunts and try them. You will not be disappointed.

Since you are looking for a family, personally I would suggest you look into renting some of the nicer houses on the island. There is another thread around somewhere discussing those options.

James

Very good advice! I second this opinion wholeheartedly.

Thank you for all of your good advice.

We will explore renting a home or condo for the week. We were thinking about the all-inclusives to save on costs, but we will consider the other options.

Thank you again,

SterlingDiver

Back
Top Bottom