Cozumel Charities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MGW1979

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,
I'm heading down to Coz for the third year in a row, this time for my wedding! Instead of party favours etc., my soon-to-be wife and I wanted to make a donation to one or more local charities on behalf of our guests. Can those of you who are locals, or who have such knowlege recommend some of the local charities that we can check out?

I know of the local redcross (Cruz Roja) and since there are numerous doctors coming for our wedding, we might try to bring some medical supplies.

All the best,
Marek

Hi all,
I'm heading down to Coz for the third year in a row, this time for my wedding! Instead of party favours etc., my soon-to-be wife and I wanted to make a donation to one or more local charities on behalf of our guests. Can those of you who are locals, or who have such knowlege recommend some of the local charities that we can check out?

I know of the local redcross (Cruz Roja) and since there are numerous doctors coming for our wedding, we might try to bring some medical supplies.

All the best,
Marek

Also Perhaps: 1)Chrysalis which provides scholarships for island children
2)Humane Society of Cozumel

It looks like you and your guests may be in a position that will allow you to do a lot of good on the island. The 3 charities already mentioned are the popular ones and if you contact this Scubaboard member she can help with all of your questions.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/members/ddeborahdelamar.html
Deb is with the Red Cross, volunteers at the Humane Soceity and is active in many other Coz charity related things.

The Humane Society gets a vote here.

When Martin was alive, Dive with Martin used to collect items for various agencies, not sure if they are still involved with that or not.

I would imagine all the local churches have needs and charities they support as well.

Another Great Coz cause :)eyebrow:) is the Cozumel Chrysalis Group. They provide school supplies and support to children on the island and their website can be found here.

Thanks for the replies!

Hi- This is so good that you are organizing some of your time to help others while you are on the island. I am here right now vacationing. My wife and I bring a hockey bag full of items down every visit. Usually the goods are for children. We bring donated tooth brushes with tooth paste, soccer balls, baby clothing,syringes for the humane society, sutures for the humane society,pens, pencils, crayons, felt pens, white out, good hand held calculators for the older kids in school, prescription eye glasses, reading glasses, wind breaker coats, shoes. With exception to the eye glasses and soccer balls everything is new. And donated by pros at home. Along with this some friends will give me money and believe me it's easy to find a home for that. I dive with Scubamau and the guys there are from the island, they helped me find the right homes for this stuff. The med supplies went to the Humane Society, that place both broke my heart and lifted it at the same time. The docs there should be given nobel peace awards not some politician making things up. oops. I am sure that most dives ops have people working for them that are from the island and would be glad to show you where to take it.
And Deborah will for sure be able to direct you to professionals that will use your donations for island people.
I hope your trip is beyond fabulous.

Hi another add for ya. The local aid place called DIF is located at the end of avenue 30 South. I dropped a bunch of stuff there. I wish I had just dropped it all there first my time would have been better spent, not that it wasnt fun handing stuff out, but thats not why I'm here. kev

Firstdive, are you able to get a break from the airlines for that care package. If so, please describe how. Either way, nice work! Giving to those in need is a wonderful thing.

PH

Firstdive, are you able to get a break from the airlines for that care package. If so, please describe how. Either way, nice work! Giving to those in need is a wonderful thing.

PH

Hi PH! I try to fly with Westjet from Edmonton as they allow one extra bag on top of the two checkin bags, provided the extra bag is full of humanitarian goods only. I do not know if other airlines do that, I believe if you look in their baggage rules page on the airline you fly you will be able to read if they do that or not. It's cool you ask.
Dive well amigo,kev

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom