Trip Report Cozumel- December 20-31, 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone have any tips on diving sidemount in Cozumel?

I am bringing my XDeep Stealth Tec, and my regs, etc...and just looking for even just 2 AL80s per dive.

Is this something folks in Cozumel deal with all the time, or none at all, or should I just contact the dive service I am going to dive with...but that is still TBD....we going next Aug and that is all that is known so far

I have a friend in Coz right now diving sidemount through Blue Angel. Only one tank at a time. In my experience, while limited, everyone I have dived with diving sidemount on scuba trips, dive one tank at a time at the request of the operation

Rob

Day 2 we went to Palancar Horseshoe

Day 3 was Columbia Dee

Day 4 (Christmas Eve) was to Santa Rosa wall

Maybe I've forgotten, but weren't the southern reefs supposed to be closed? Or what months was it?

I have a friend in Coz right now diving sidemount through Blue Angel. Only one tank at a time. In my experience, while limited, everyone I have dived with diving sidemount on scuba trips, dive one tank at a time at the request of the operation

Rob

Bummer, I prefer the redundancy and the way the kit trims out.

Bombay Delights delivers btw. I have had their food delivered several times , but have never been to the actual restaurant Definitely good food. Easy to communicate with via WhatsApp. I am guessing they are in the old Satureia Indian restaurant location from what people have described (behind Casa Mexicana in the alley parallel to Melgar—is that correct ?)

Regarding bag drag , airlines used to really gouge CZM flights around major holidays. I think I had to pay 800 or 900 for my ticket from Houston to CZM once. I definitely try to avoid CUN if at all possible , but if you are traveling with a family you might still glance at cost of CUN versus CZM after pandemic subsides. If there is $1,000 difference for a family of 4 it might be worth considering during post-Covid times. Figure people on this board are sophisticated travelers , but if fares blow out sometimes hotel packages intro CZM are the way to go (one time when fares were high I booked air plus hotel for like 50 dollars more than just cost of air—worked out to 10 bucks a night at Coral Princess I think ).

With crowded ferries these days there is hardly a price where I would do bag drag right now. . Risk there is likely going to be way higher than airports and airplanes. Can’t get the spacing you can usually achieve in airports (with a little foot work ) and air circulation rate and filter quality on ferry can’t be nearly as high as an airplane where air turns over every 3-5 minutes while flying. Also waiting in line with a hundred strangers for the ferry not high on my list either during a pandemic. You can clearly catch COVID from other tourists as a whole bunch of people at Tulum festival last month proved. Take all of the above and the likely more contagious UK virus variant circulating just no way I would do bag drag now if I could avoid it.

Bummer, I prefer the redundancy and the way the kit trims out.
I would still ask to take 2. My friend diving at Blue Angel just does one and all other experiences with sidemounts have been on live-a-boards and the tender only takes one tank per diver. For Blue Angel, they take two tanks for a two tank dive, so...Never know until you ask.

I would still ask to take 2. My friend diving at Blue Angel just does one and all other experiences with sidemounts have been on live-a-boards and the tender only takes one tank per diver. For Blue Angel, they take two tanks for a two tank dive, so...Never know until you ask.

If I wanted to dive with Blue Angel...which hotels work with them or are close by? If I just need to look this up, I will...I have never been to Cozumel and am planning a trip this Aug. Have dreamt of going there for 15yrs!

If I wanted to dive with Blue Angel...which hotels work with them or are close by? If I just need to look this up, I will...I have never been to Cozumel and am planning a trip this Aug. Have dreamt of going there for 15yrs!
You can just stay at their resort. Blue Angel Resort. It's nice and has a nice restaurant attached. Breakfast is included with the room. Long walk downtown, but we did it many nights. There are many choices for dive operations. This board will give you all you need to know if you want to research other places.

You can just stay at their resort. Blue Angel Resort. It's nice and has a nice restaurant attached. Breakfast is included with the room. Long walk downtown, but we did it many nights. There are many choices for dive operations. This board will give you all you need to know if you want to research other places.
I second that; Blue Angel is an excellent place to stay. It's small, quiet, and far enough from town to avoid crowds but close enough for cheap cab rides to restaurants. It has the dive shop, a nice pool, an excellent restaurant, a convenient dock, a great staff, and easy water access to one of the better shore dives in the hotel zone. It checks all the boxes for me. I have spent a couple of weeks there every year since 1987 or so, except for 2020, and I hope to get back there in a few months.

In my case, no non-stop from Newark to Coz. Choices are stop overnight in Houston or Bag drag thru Can. I've done both. Will only fly thru IAH from now on. The logistics are just plain easier through Houston. Getting home is a giant pita through Can. And going back does not necessitate an overnite in Houston for me.
I have flown to CZM many times from Newark with American with a short layover in Charlotte or Dallas. No overnight! I remember the good old days with United having on nonstop! United also has flights to CZM with a short layover in Houston. No overnights!

I have flown to CZM many times from Newark with American with a short layover in Charlotte or Dallas. No overnight! I remember the good old days with United having on nonstop! United also has flights to CZM with a short layover in Houston. No overnights!

Not possible for me. I’m a United 2M passenger. I’m married to them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom