Cozumel dive shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lucia

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're going to Coz for the first time Sept. 1-8 - have been reading reviews and trip reports as well and I've sent e-mail questions to some dive shops. I've narrowed the choices down to these dive shops - they've all been very helpful in answering questions - if we could, we'd use them all but, unfortunately we need to pick one!

Alex & Alex
Scuba with Alison
Albatros Charters
Cabalito del Caribe

Any comments or recommendations?

We have used them and were very pleased. One of their Dive Masters, Adrian, is considered one of the best in Cozumel.

They even met us at the airport upon arrival to verify our plans and offer any assistance needed.

Very satisfied. Have a great trip and enjoy.

DSAO

In general, how are prices for scuba gear in Cozumel?

Gaucho,

If you mean the prices of new equipment purchased in the shops on Cozumel, I have one suggestion: buy everything you need before you go! The prices are equal to or higher than what you pay at home--at least if your home is in California.

For Cozumel there is roughly one rule of thumb: the things that are "cheap" are Mexican labor and Mexican goods. Things that are imported from Europe, Japan and the US are not cheap--especially in locales where there are lots of tourist dollars!

But, the diving, the dive resorts, and the food in most restaurants are really very economical--probably the best prices in North America!

Hope that answers your question....

Joewr

Thanks for the tips. I hear some wet suits are made in Mexico... are these any good (Ive seen some Oceanic stuff).

Gaucho,

From what I have seen, if the goods are on the "shelf" next to imports, they are price-competitive. However, if you can go far enough to get away from the tourists and shop where the Mexicans do, you can find Hecho en Mexico goods at lower prices. That cannot be done on the Isla Cozumel. There are occasional bargains in the dive shops, but usually not on dive equipment. For example, last year I bought a couple of really nice "Dove Cozumel" polo shirts for $20 each. They are good quality, color-fast and have a nice logo. They would normally go for $35-40.

In general, prices on Cozumel tend to be higher than on the mainland--except in places like Cancun--because everything has to be brought in by ship. There is a large Super Mercado called "Chedraui" on Coz where the locals all shop and for daily goods it is a good place to shop. Prices are very reasonable there, but, sadly, no scuba gear is sold. But that is the place to go for wine, toiletries, etc....

Joewr

We've been diving with Caballitos for over 5 years and won't use anyone else if we don't have to. I did my OW checkouts in Coz and Israel was the DM on my very first OW dive and will always hold a special place in my heart. Adrian is the funny one and a really good photographer, and Ricardo is a jewel. More tech oriented than the others and an excellent guide to the cenotes on the mainland. All 3 have my complete trust.

Luis, the owner, will do everything he can to accommodate you. The dive site choices are left up to boat majority and experience and the DM's will make every dive well worth it.

I'll be diving part of the time this trip with Alex and Alex, due to a trip deal too good to pass up through a local dive shop (air fare from Houston sucks). I've heard good things about them but don't have any personal knowledge of them.

Been diving with them for the past 4 trips and they are great, have small boats and the personnel is the friendliest there is. If you decide to use them, tell Mr. Alex, Don from Aquasports in Oklahoma sent you.

ID

We used Dive Paradise and found their service really good.

Back
Top Bottom