Cozumel dive + stay packages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pajjpen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to Mexico in February/ March and plan on stopping in Cozumel for about 5-6 days and I'm looking for a cheap dive + hotel package, or just a nice dive package.
any suggestions on current specials and offers?
cheers

I've been going to Cozumel for over 25 years now, and have never done a stay and dive package. In my opinion, you can almost always do better by going ala carte - select where you want to stay, then pick a convenient high quality Dive Op separately. I know that there are big fans on this board of some dedicated dive resorts, like Scuba Club Cozumel, Papa Hogs, or Blue Angel, all of which offer dive and stay packages. And there are some Downtown Dive Ops, like Blue XTSea (by reputation, an excellent Dive Op, and Christi, the Owner, is a frequent contributor to this Board), will put together some pretty decent stay and dive packages.

You can compare pricing for just Dive packages by looking at the websites of several operators. I looked earlier today to compare pricing, and Dive with Martin, a budget operator but still a very good Op (I've been diving with them several times, and have no complaints at all, and I really like a couple of its DMs), offers a 5-day 2-tank package for $305, plus the $3 per day Marine Park fee. While I personally prefer Aldora for its HP Steel 120 tanks, Nitrox in any tank size, very long bottom times, and longer SI at a beach club, Aldora is also near the top end in terms of pricing, while Dive with Martin is near the bottom, but still NOT a cattle boat operation. Dive with Martin leaves from its office at the shore end of the International Pier, and doesn't pick up Downtown, so you need to either stay near the Pier -Casa Del Mar, El Cid La Cieba, Park Royal (an AI, which I avoid on Cozumel because of the wealth of great restaurants), or Village Tan Kah, or take a taxi from downtown (about $5 each way IF you pay in Pesos). Or you could stay Downtown, at a real budget hotel like Hotel Plaza Cozumel, Hotel Mary Carmen, or Hotel La Casona Real (all at or below $40 US a night), Suites Bahia (about $45 a night, and includes breakfast buffet at Casa Mexicana), or Casa Mexicana (about $65-$70 a night, including breakfast buffet), and dive with any of several Dive Ops which either leave from Downtown or provide transportation to the Caleta, the marina from which the dive boats leave. Check out package prices at Aldora (as I said, a higher end Op, but definitely great service, and I understand that it will give a discount for cash), Tres Pelicanos, Blue XTSea, Living Underwater, and others.

I have the limited experience of 2 whole trips both last year. Last July I did the dive package with Coral Reef Inn and Dive Paradise. In October I stayed at Hotel Plaza and dove with Aldora.

Coral Reef Inn is a very small Inn a 10 minute walk to Hotel Barracuda, were Dive Paradise picks up. Probably a good 25 minute walk from hotel to the square. It does have a very nice roof area with a full open air kitchen for all to use. Very quite.

Hotel Plaza in town a block and a half from the ferry. A decent breakfast was provided but it didn't start until 7 AM and I Aldora would leave from their pier, less than 10 minute walk, around 7:20 AM so didn't have a lot of time to eat.

I am not very good with air but my dives with DP averaged 45 minutes and with Aldora around 65 minutes. I wasn't always the first one to run low on air.

I am planning an 8 day trip for February this year too. Only thing I have set so far is the flight. There are a lot of choices. I liked both places I have stayed at so far. Was thinking about Bahia this time, anyone have comparison of it to Hotel Plaza?

Just stumbled upon Bluemagic and they have really good packages for staying in good hotels + dives. If anyone is looking for the same heres the site! (was way cheaper than scuba club that i had recently looked at)
Hotel & Dive Packages

I've been going to Cozumel for over 25 years now, and have never done a stay and dive package. In my opinion, you can almost always do better by going ala carte - select where you want to stay, then pick a convenient high quality Dive Op separately.
I agree that that is the best way for an experienced Coz visitor to build a trip there, but for a first timer it may be better to book a package even though it may cost a little more. Christi at BlueXTSea books dive and accommodations packages; that might be a good place to start.

The Blue Angel Resort is economical and has nice people. I stayed there a week and was pleased. Location is a good compromise between being close to town and south to be closer to reefs.

Look at the map of hotels. Evaluate costs and other preferences in a hotel.

Combine that with realities of dive op pickup locations and make a decision on both.

Cozumel, Mexico map with hotel locations

A "package" is not required. You can possibly get a good deal using cheaptickets.com or your preferred hotel website.

We have used the Blue Magic package and stayed at Casa Mexicana before. I enjoyed BlueMagic and would dive with them again without hesitation. Pumba, one of their DM's, has more experience diving Cozumel than most. The breakfast at Casa Mexican is great, there is plenty of time to walk to the shop where they provide transportation to the marina. The service was perfect and they took care of our gear. Their surface interval in on an unimproved beach that I actually prefer. Fruit, snacks and water are provided on the boat. Yuval even invited my wife and I to a going away party for a DM who was returning to Israel. Great food and fun. There is a bakery on the corner with great pastries and next to that is Burrito Gordito for lunch when you return. Santos, the manager likes his coffee black with a little milk in it. That got me free rental on two back up dive lights (that were better than mine) and I don't think they charged me for the 100 cf tank a couple of days.

DONT FORGET TO DO A NIGHT DIVE!!!!

On our last trip, I called Casa Mexicana myself and had to work to get the same rate Blue Magic gets. We dove with Aldora for the 120cf tanks.

Everytime we have stayed at CM, we meet divers staying at Suites Bahia and having breakfast at CM. They all say the rooms are nice and big but about $20-30 a night cheaper than CM.

I think you will enjoy diving with BM if that is what you choose. We have dove with several operations and I really cant say anything bad about any of them. The only operations I have seen bad reviews on are the cattle boats that cater to cruise passengers. They usually use the scare tactic that the passenger wont get left by the cruise ship if they return late. That's really not an issue with a 2 tank morning dive, unless you start drinking and shopping once you are done.

Enjoy your trip, safe travels!!

Jay

Everytime we have stayed at CM, we meet divers staying at Suites Bahia and having breakfast at CM. They all say the rooms are nice and big but about $20-30 a night cheaper than CM.
Jay
All i get when googling suites bahia is a mexican only website (Suites Bahia Cozumel | Hotel Casa Mexicana | Cozumel, Mexico) and is called casa mexicana, wierd.
Do they not have an english site? would love to check em out

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom