Cozumel fish photo id game..... green moray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When we first started going to Cozumel, in 2000, the DMs told us there weren't any green moray's there. Well, about 2 years later we saw one, and the DM was amazed and even radioed back to dive shop (PapaHogs) telling them about it and what reef. We guessed they were pretty rare at that time.

Our last couple of trips we saw them several times, free-swimming or sticking out of a hole, even in the coral rubble in front of SCC at only 20' depth. It was very, very cool.

Show me YOUR Green Moray photos!
120405_GreenMoray_0811.jpg

---------- Post added July 28th, 2013 at 07:34 AM ----------

100527_GreenMoray_0441.jpg

From the roped off swimming area at the Grand. It was the first time using my G9 & I thought I had it set to store RAW but I screwed up & only got jpg's.

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

I don't remember the site but it may have been Paso Del Cedral on my last trip. I had been photographing something & when I turned around this was coming right at me.

IMG_0876v1.jpg

IMG_0877v1.jpg

What goes in doesn't come out! Note the extra row of teeth on the top of the eel's mouth.

moray9640.jpg

Has anyone ever seen a little green moray? Are they born big?

---------- Post added July 28th, 2013 at 08:14 AM ----------

Hunting odd couple

morayandgrouper.jpg

---------- Post added July 28th, 2013 at 08:18 AM ----------

EEEK!!

deborahandgreenmoray.jpg

We saw one like this in Bonaire. It was unfortunately missing the almost the entire back half of its body. We saw it on the city pier on a guided night dive.
It was also the biggest eel I've ever seen. I also wondered if green eels always come big or just turn light green when they get larger.

(Gymnothorax funebris)

I learn something new every day.

Green morays are oviparous - hatch from eggs. The eggs float on the surface of the water until they hatch into a larval stage (leptocephalus) that is thin, transparent. The larvae take up to eight months of drifting with plankton as they morph into miniature eels.

The eel is actually blue in color but appears green due to a yellow mucus coating.

023.jpg

Green Moray.jpg

Since we have moved into the Tunich photography studio....

Here is a nice....

Coz 022012 311.jpg

Hey, Porkfish Grunts. Thanks for the photo bomb, ya jerks....

Now let's try again....

Coz 022012 312.jpg

Seriously sweepers? You were still in the frame. GET AWAY FROM THE EEL. Go to the left.

Coz 022012 314.jpg

NO, my left, not your left.

Once more....

Coz 022012 316.jpg

Fine. You don't have to yell at me. Those stinkin' sweepers are your friends. Bunch of photo bombing jerks....

Having been on two separate dives when other divers were bitten by morays, I'm a bit leery of them when they freeswim right at me. But not leery enough to forget to take a photo first!

Killer Moray.jpg

Back
Top Bottom