Cozumel fishing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lovemx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Coming down next week. This year we are adding a fishing charter to our schedule. We are going out on Monday. Just wonder if I could get some reports on what's biting. How are the boats doing ect. Also is there a fishing forum or any other place to get info. Thanks in advance. We are also diving with Blue Project several days.

Coming down next week. This year we are adding a fishing charter to our schedule. We are going out on Monday. Just wonder if I could get some reports on what's biting. How are the boats doing ect. Also is there a fishing forum or any other place to get info. Thanks in advance. We are also diving with Blue Project several days.
In general this is the best time of year to fish Cozumel. From April into June the dorado (mahi mahi, dolphin) are usually running and the billfish (marlin and sailfish) are migrating through. You'll also sometimes catch blackfin tuna, wahoo, barracuda, and even the occasional king mackerel.

I started going to Cozumel for the fishing in the late 70's long before I started diving, and I still go there with fisherpersons who determine our days on the island on the basis of the phase of the moon and whatever voodoo they subscribe to to decide when they think the best fishing will be. We will be fishing there three days in May. Good luck, but leave a blue marlin for me!

Just wonder if I could get some reports on what's biting.

The mosquitoes?

Seriously, I've apparently got built-in fish repellent. I have never caught a fish no matter how much I've invested in terms of time, money, or whatever that "patience" stuff is.

Well hell, That's just downright depressing!
The mosquitoes?

Seriously, I've apparently got built-in fish repellent. I have never caught a fish no matter how much I've invested in terms of time, money, or whatever that "patience" stuff is.

The mosquitoes?

Well I will show you the video of the winning blue we are going to land during the Rodeo de Lanchas Mexicanas in May. Maybe that will help? I will stop by in the Mercedes that blue is going to win for us.

Yesterday at Caleta, a fishing boat passed us announcing they had caught a tuna.

Not being a sushi guy, the mate talked me into trying thin, nearly see through slices of tuna taken off the fish we had just caught. I have to say it was really good.

Later I got the Ahi a Kondesa. When it arrived, my buddy told the waiter to take it back and finish cooking it.

We could win with tuna. If they were BIG or there were a lot of them....

Went twice in Dec. To say the fishing sucked would be an understatement. First day only catch was a smallish barracuda by my wife, second my son caught one 29.5" Mahi, his first which was cool, had it cooked at Jimmy Buffets, was wonderful. I caught probably a world record scrawled file fish (current IGFA is 4lbs 11oz.) but had no clue what the record was so no official measurements and of course the fish was released unharmed. Caught quite a few small grunts ect. but that is not really what was expected.

Yeah I know that does not help you for whats biting now but hey, any excuse to share a fish story!

Of course a bad day fishing still beats the Hell out of any day at work!

DSCN0229_zpsaljv5iby.jpg

Capt. kept the cuda to eat
IMG_0001_zpslilivicn.jpg

DSCN0289_zpsqx2688ee.jpg

My file fish, not sure of the weight but I would bet over 5lbs
DSCN0278_zpska3hfjay.jpg

Well I will show you the video of the winning blue we are going to land during the Rodeo de Lanchas Mexicanas in May. Maybe that will help? I will stop by in the Mercedes that blue is going to win for us.

They still sell fish at stores, right? It might even be cheaper than a day of fishing.

Honk so I'll know it's you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom