Unknown Cozumel: Horrible dive accident...

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MN Lakeman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Today our boat of 4 divers finished our last dive of the week this morning on Yucab, & on the way back to Blue Angel we came upon 3 dive boats with captains only inside, carefully circling a diver face down, tank up & BCD appearing inflated. Our DM said it was a "dive accident" but no one was in the water assisting. A very surreal & very disturbing scene. DM said no one could attend to the diver until port police arrived. It seemed our captain was obligated to join in the "circle" until another boat came to the scene at which point we continued our way to the shop....in complete silence. At the point that we passed the cruise ships, the port authority boat was heading out to Yucab pretty rapidly. I really hope some info gets posted about this, as there are so many unanswered questions. It goes without saying our thoughts & prayers go out to the family & loved ones of this diver.

Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot. No duty to assist? Who was the f**ktard that had the training/authority to call a death??
Obviously, none of us has remotely enough information to make any sort of judgement about what happened.

Obviously, none of us has remotely enough information to make any sort of judgement about what happened.
Horse manure. Floating face down, POSSIBLY dead. You’re not OFFICIALLY dead until a medical professional declares it

Exactly, who is to say that the original dive op didn't assessed the victim and concluded further lifesaving measures were fruitless. We don't know how long the dive boat were circling waiting for officials. Nor do many of us understand local protocol for these accidents. If we have an expert on the protocols than I am eager to hear the complete protocol before rendering opinion.

Horse manure. Floating face down, POSSIBLY dead. You’re not OFFICIALLY dead until a medical professional declares it
Horse manure yourself. Were you there? Did you see it with your own eyes? Do you know for sure that anything actually happened? You are 3000 miles away, but somehow you know enough to pass judgement on the people who were on the scene? No to all of the above.

Exactly, who is to say that the original dive op didn't assessed the victim and concluded further lifesaving measures were fruitless. We don't know how long the dive boat were circling waiting for officials. Nor do many of us understand local protocol for these accidents. If we have an expert on the protocols than I am eager to hear the complete protocol before rendering opinion.
How could they have assessed him without pulling him on deck?

Who assessed and declared him dead? Was there a medical professional?

DM said no one could attend to the diver until port police arrived.
I think that must be a misunderstood statement.
No duty to assist?
I have wondered how much help a captain can be to a disabled diver when he is the only one on the boat. Can he pull the diver up and out? I guess that's more likely to happen on the little pangas than on a larger boat.
I'd like to see that law, just can't be true.
Nope.

Hell no. Body has to come out of the water to be assessed for vital signs and possible lifesaving aid. Also the BCD could deflate and the body drifts away underwater, never to be found again. No mention of a rope securing the body, but that is standard practice in body recovery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom