Cozumel in December should I take my wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Hamburg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I own a 3mm full wetsuit and am not sure if I should take it or not. I took it in april and didn't need it at all. Taking it is one more thing to deal with but if I have the space, will i be happier if I take/use it? I just bought all my gear so I can't add a 2nd wetsuits to the gear pile.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, I would, but I always wear a full wetsuit no matter the temp. In the winter, Cozumel waters are around 77-79 degrees F, so let that guide you. My opinion is if you're planning on doing several dives a day/several days in a row, you'd rather be comfortable then slightly chilled. And by the end of the week, that 3MM is going to be looking pretty great. Generally for a winter trip to Coz, I wear a 3MMfull on my first dive, then add a hooded vest for the second dive (personal preference). I also know people who only dive in rash guards in December in Coz (but they also have a little more natural insulation, if you catch my drift). If you have space, take it.

Well i have a good bit of natural insulation but it may be nice to have more. It may also help my sinking feet

My husband and I were just discussing this tonight as we are leaving for Coz on Friday. He is taking both a 3mm full and a 3mm shorty. I am taking a 5/4/3 because I get cold easily. I would say when it doubt, pack it.

I have been to Playa in Feb 3 times and was very happy to have my 3mm with me. I have plenty of my own insulation and still was happy to have my 3mm. I would bring it if I were you.

Of course, your thermal protection is a personal matter, and everyone will tell you different things for different temperatures.

That said, I always prefer to have my skin covered when diving in the marine environment. You never know what kind of stingy things you might come across, and wearing a thin wetsuit is more than enough to protect your skin from things like that.

Read this for instance: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/381383-invisible-sting-cozumel.html

Depends on your thermal tolerances. I always take my 3/2 full when we go to Coz. I've never worn anything but a diveskin, even in December, but I always take it. It's theoretically possible that I might get cold.

Just got back from Cozumel this week. We got lucky the weather was great,no rain. Water temp was 82 deg. I wore my 3mil all week. Went down with my dive shop 31 people and had a great time. Because we dove as a group and were experienced divers we were able to have long dives,as long as we had air we stayed down and thats when the 3mil came in handy. Have a good time. Rudy

Personally, I would take it for winter trip. I think it's probably better to have it and not need it, than the other way around. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom