Cozumel in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbarada

Contributor
Reaction score
We have been numerous times in February and March, occasionally in September to take advantage of cheap packages. How different is Cozumel in December?

My wife and I were also thinking about going to Cozumel in December but are a little leary of the nortes blowing in and closing the caleta. Anyone know how frequently that happens in December?

Just like winter anywhere else, it varies from year to year. I've been going to Cozumel and/or the Riviera Maya in December for the past 8 years. In Cozumel most years we don't lose any days to port closures. One year we lost 2 and another year we had a day where the port opening was delayed. On the mainland, it's been another story. More days lost to winds and seas that the small skiffs they use can't get safely out in.

I think of it as in the winter you might get a norte or a milder cold front. In the summer you might get a tropical system or lots of rain. Every season has it's weather. No matter what time of the year you go to the Caribbean, there's no guarantee you'll be diving every day.

Thanks for the info scubawife. I know there are never any guarantees when it comes to weather. We were in Coz once a couple of years ago (can't remember if it was our March trip or our October trip) and out of 4 days we could dive the caleta was closed 2 1/2 so we only got to dive a few times. Just didn't know if this was a common thing in December or a rarity.

Certainly not common. If it does happen, there are plenty of other things to do. Come on down. We are waiting for you.

We have been numerous times in February and March, occasionally in September to take advantage of cheap packages. How different is Cozumel in December?

Try this link from weather.com

Average Weather for Cozumel, QR - Temperature and Precipitation

It shows that Dec is one of the driest months and one of the coolest. But the average between summer and winter changes by only 5 degrees so how bad is that? Couldn't find winds. Are nortes like Santa Anas in California where you get warmer weather with the winds?

I have been many times in Dec...the island is very festive...lots of Christmas decorations temps are cooler and sometimes the Nortes do effect diving...but you pay your money and you take your chances...the eagle rays come in around that time so you see more of them....

Thank you all for your helpful information. You have convinced me. I am going to start making arrangements for a December trip.

Thanks mucho for all the thoughts and opinions. We had scheduled September to take advantage of the discounts at SCC, but my wife crashed her bike and broke three ribs a couple weeks ago. I can't see her with a tank, weights and a BC on a rocking boat for a while. We are now looking at mid-December and all of your comments were very helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom