Cozumel November 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just returned home today; dove last week and most of this week. I wore a 3mm shorty and was very comfortable. I'm somewhat lean, so I tend to get cold a little easier, but never felt a chill except on a night dive that lasted 68 minutes. I would think a 3mm would cover you without issue for dives. Have a blast!!

Thanks, Kerry, for the info. I know I'd freeze in a 3mm shorty because I freeze in a 3mm full wetsuit. I get cold very easily. Must be the thin blood from living in the desert! Wow, not feeling a chill on a night dive that lasted 68 minutes.....you da man!!!!! I hope you had a great time in Coz. You've probably become a Coz-addict like a lot of us!

Haha you are all going to laugh but I was cold after 2 dives in 83F wearing a 3mm full. I'm bringing a 5/4/3 to Coz with a 3 mm core warmer just in case :p

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You should decide if you want to see dramatic coral structures with swim-throughs- these tend to be the deeper dives or whether you want to see dense marine animal life at shallower depths.

For deeper dives, Santa Rosa wall and Palancar Caves are amazing.
Shallower dives for the animal life- Paradise and Paso del Cedral are both places where you can't go wrong.
Villa Blanca wall is a good mix of both aspects and is a good bet for smaller animals like sea horses and nudibranches.

We just got back home from Coz.
The diving was excellent.
The weather was generally pretty poor. The rainy season is supposed to be over, but I there is no guarantee with these things.

Just got back from an amazing week in Cozumel. Despite the rain, the diving was great! Here is a GoPro edit from a day trip to PDC for shark dive. Still scouring raw footage from the Cozumel side... so many great reefs and sea life!

Hope everyone has/had a great time!

[video=vimeo;79607303]http://vimeo.com/79607303[/video]

Despite some of the moodiest weather that we have encountered in our total of five trips to Cozumel, I felt the diving was some of the best. Visibility was good, but not pristine. Marine life was abundant and the currents were the mildest that I have ever contended with in Cozumel. Challenging sites like La Francesca, Tunich and Torrementos were calm and laid back. Water temps were around 84 degrees. My husband was comfortable alternating between his rash guard and 3 mm shorty. I on the other hand, was comfortable in my 5 mm wetsuit. Disclaimer: I am always cold. If I am going out to dinner or the movies during the dog days of summer, I always carry a sweater with me. The only time I was cold on this trip was on the boat during surface intervals when it was raining. Many times the water was warmer than the air.

Of course as Murphy's Law would dictate, my camera flooded during our first dive. Seemed like I saw a lot of divers with the Go Pro cameras. I am not big into videotaping, but love to take pics. Not sure how the Go Pro picture quality is compared with other point and shoot cameras. Definately looks like a convenient set up.

I know SBers get weary of all the cheer leading, but I have to give a shout out for Scuba Tony. Our dive master Ray had an amazing ability to find seahorses, pipehorses, and nudibranch's the size of my pinky nail. Finally on the last day of diving, I found an eagle ray! Wonderful trip.

Thanks, Kerry, for the info. I know I'd freeze in a 3mm shorty because I freeze in a 3mm full wetsuit. I get cold very easily. Must be the thin blood from living in the desert! Wow, not feeling a chill on a night dive that lasted 68 minutes.....you da man!!!!! I hope you had a great time in Coz. You've probably become a Coz-addict like a lot of us!

"Coz-addict" is correct. Since our return I have been busy planning our next visit, going to try and arrange May 2014 and possible Nov 2014 (in Cancun).

As of now, 84 degrees... At eighty four you should know what your needs are as far as exposure... Cenotes are at 78... lee (Just left Cozumel)

Wrapping up a two week trip, 38 more great dives with Tres Pelicanos. Once again Servando and Chan Fran made each dive special. Weather finally broke on Saturday and it has been sunny, for the most part. Both my computers have been logging 81 F for temp. The currents have been very low through out,on one trip to Punta Sur last week, it was actually going south.

We returned from Coz. last Saturday. Fantastic week of diving with Dive Paradise. Weather could have been better -- one day we were all huddled together in the boat with thunder and lightening directly above us! I've never had so much rain in Cozumel, and we have been going there for years. On the other hand, the gloomy weather was offset by calm seas. One morning it was so dark that a parrot fish had tucked himself into a crevice to snooze. No rocking boats or banging dive ladders. Entry into the boat was easy. Because there was so little current, we saw things on favorite dive sites that we had previously sailed by. We had only one dive that actually had some current. I was impressed by how few lionfish we saw -- the divemasters are doing a good job keeping the population down.

---------- Post added November 20th, 2013 at 01:14 PM ----------

I get cold, too. I was OK in a 3mm full wetsuit with a lined skin and a lined hooded vest. The problem with last week was that there was no sun and you never were able to warm up between dives.

---------- Post added November 20th, 2013 at 01:17 PM ----------

One Thursday, it rained a lot! The next day, I jumped off the boat for the first am dive and was COLD! Dropped down 15 feet and the water was warmer. There was a layer of cool fresh water on the surface. When we looked up, it looked greenish. I'd never seen that in Cozumel, although we did see thermoclines like that in the Galapagos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom