Cozumel Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toofunnie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
For all you Cozumel experts I have a couple of questions:

1. Anyone stayed at the Wyndham Cozumel lately? If so what do I expect?
2. Would we be better off to pay for our transfers to and from the airport ahead of time?
3. We are a family of 5 adults and 4 teens (14-18) any suggestions on activities?
4. Where is the best jewelry shopping?
5. We will be there the 17-24 of December how busy will it be?

Thanks!

2. Would we be better off to pay for our transfers to and from the airport ahead of time?
3. We are a family of 5 adults and 4 teens (14-18) any suggestions on activities?

Thanks!

1]When we were there last year we stayed at Sabor... that was awesome. Standard windham I cant speak to, but i know the bartenders on the beach sucked. The drinks were free if you could ever get one. And that was with tipping.

2] The transfers at the airport are fairly pricey and they charge per person. I think i paid 8.00 per person for an in town drop. The windham might be more since it's way out there.

3]
A)Bring snorkel gear and go to DZUL-HA and hang out for the day drinking and snorkeling. It's called money bar now.
B) Talk to taxi drivers and see if you can recruit a van for the day to go to the east side. We like to hang out at Chen-Rio. They have a fairly safe swim area there. Other places on the east side can be dangerous to swim, but the margaritas are great at Mescalitos. $50us is what I paid a driver last trip for the day. Then I tanked up his taxi cuz Im a nice guy.

4] Elisa loves to go to Sergio's to buy her shiny decorations. {or really she likes to go there so I can buy her shiny decorations :) }
Sergio's is behind the square... find the church. it's across the street from the church up the side street 2 or 3 stores. Send the kids across the street from there to get a fruit ice... mmmmm.

5] I avoid that time of year because I think it's busy and I don't like people. But then again, things are slow all around. Maybe it won't be too bad. You will have a difficult time not having fun regardless of the other.

Hope that helps. I don't know everything...just enough to have fun getting into trouble.

MyPC8MyBrain,

Thanks for all the great info. I have the opportunity to book our transfers ahead of time for $27.50, round trip. Do you think that would be better? We will not be able to stay in the Sabor section since we have teens, but are hoping that the other area will be just fine. I really have the feeling that we won't care much since we are from small town South Dakota and it will definately be warmer there and who can beat the ocean? Thanks again!

toofunnie

Harro10,

Thanks for the info on the website, will give it some reading!

MyPC8MyBrain,

Thanks for all the great info. I have the opportunity to book our transfers ahead of time for $27.50, round trip. Do you think that would be better? We will not be able to stay in the Sabor section since we have teens, but are hoping that the other area will be just fine. I really have the feeling that we won't care much since we are from small town South Dakota and it will definately be warmer there and who can beat the ocean? Thanks again!

toofunnie

Harro10,

Thanks for the info on the website, will give it some reading!

We visit the Wyndham, often.
In fact, we've got a group going in Feb.

Is that $27.50 total R/T (for 9 people) or is that per person??
If that is the Total Price ... do it.
If it is per person, tell them "no thanks" and grab the van (from the airport) to the Wyndham, and take 2 Taxi's on the way back.

If you need further info in the Wyndham, feel free to send me a Private Message.

Jeff.
DIVERSIFIED DIVERS SCUBA - Home Page

Thanks!

Beyond the obvious beach and ocean activities there are a lot of options.
  • Discover Mexico is a historical themed park exploring the life and culture of Mexico in different eras.
  • Chankanaab Park has a program where you can swim with and interact with dolphins.
  • There are several Mayan archaeological sites on the island. If you rent a van or scooters you can make a day of alternating ruins and beaches on a circuit of the island.
  • There is frequently music and dancing in the Plaza Principal in the evenings.
  • The Adventure Park has zip lines, climbing walls and rappelling for those who aren't afraid of heights.

Have a great time!

over on the cozumel discussion board posters are reporting that coz is like the old daze with not so many gringos del barco ashore and less crowds everywhere. probably the economy.
btw be sure to go to the square on sun eve. always a family style party going on with music and dancing. one of the few places in the world where the locals and the tourists enjoy each other so much.

Thanks!

1. I have a timeshare their. The grounds are kept up very nice. Regular hotel rooms are on the small side but have 2 doubles in them. If it can be done stay at the far south end or North end of the property. The bar, buffet, snack bar, lobby, Italian restaurant, 0 depth pool and outside stage are all in the center and can get noisy.

2. 27 round trip is probably per person. The airport does not allow taxis to pick up at the terminal. The airport shuttle was $15 to Wyndham 2 weeks ago 1 way. Taxi for 2 from Wyndham to airport is 17. Walk out of airport follow airport street to the right about 200 yards. You will see the rental car companies in front of you. When you reach the main road just stop and wait. A cab will be along. If it is not a van ask the driver to call for 1. 9 to Wyndham will be 35-40 you can negotiate that before you get in. The taxis run that street all the time, you wont wait more than a few min cause they are dropping off the people that will be departing on the plane you came in on.

3. Teens will have fun on beach, volley ball free snorkel gear, kayaks, sail surfboards. Same in pool. Dune buggy or jeep tours to northeast end is fun. discover scuba $$$ horseback riding, in town on Sunday night is a must live bands in the square, dancing and people watching 7-PM -- that Sunday will probably have a Xmas play.

4. Junk jewelry at any flee market type place. Several international known stores along the main road. Midday Sunday cheapest prices due to no cruise ships. But that Sunday many will be closed. Almost every night about 7 some vendors set up by the lobby and sell jewelry.

5. First half of your trip hotel will be 60-70% full. Then Sat and Sun. it will fill up.
Buffet opens for dinner at 6. get there then or else you will wait for a table. They are understaffed and tables go for a long time before they are cleaned for the next guest. I've seen 6-8 tables empty but with dirty dishes on them sit for 30 min or more and even thou there was a line to get seated the waiters were not in a hurry to clean them. Food is OK but not anything to write home about. If you can get reservations for the Asian Restaurant at Sabor (no extra charge) best food there. Get 2 drinks at a time at the bar again they will be busy that week and understaffed.

It is not a bad place if you are patient -- A types don't do well there -- but what the hey your on vacation relax.

1. I have a timeshare their. The grounds are kept up very nice. Regular hotel rooms are on the small side but have 2 doubles in them. If it can be done stay at the far south end or North end of the property. The bar, buffet, snack bar, lobby, Italian restaurant, 0 depth pool and outside stage are all in the center and can get noisy.

2. 27 round trip is probably per person. The airport does not allow taxis to pick up at the terminal. The airport shuttle was $15 to Wyndham 2 weeks ago 1 way. Taxi for 2 from Wyndham to airport is 17. Walk out of airport follow airport street to the right about 200 yards. You will see the rental car companies in front of you. When you reach the main road just stop and wait. A cab will be along. If it is not a van ask the driver to call for 1. 9 to Wyndham will be 35-40 you can negotiate that before you get in. The taxis run that street all the time, you wont wait more than a few min cause they are dropping off the people that will be departing on the plane you came in on.

3. Teens will have fun on beach, volley ball free snorkel gear, kayaks, sail surfboards. Same in pool. Dune buggy or jeep tours to northeast end is fun. discover scuba $$$ horseback riding, in town on Sunday night is a must live bands in the square, dancing and people watching 7-PM -- that Sunday will probably have a Xmas play.

4. Junk jewelry at any flee market type place. Several international known stores along the main road. Midday Sunday cheapest prices due to no cruise ships. But that Sunday many will be closed. Almost every night about 7 some vendors set up by the lobby and sell jewelry.

5. First half of your trip hotel will be 60-70% full. Then Sat and Sun. it will fill up.
Buffet opens for dinner at 6. get there then or else you will wait for a table. They are understaffed and tables go for a long time before they are cleaned for the next guest. I've seen 6-8 tables empty but with dirty dishes on them sit for 30 min or more and even thou there was a line to get seated the waiters were not in a hurry to clean them. Food is OK but not anything to write home about. If you can get reservations for the Asian Restaurant at Sabor (no extra charge) best food there. Get 2 drinks at a time at the bar again they will be busy that week and understaffed.

It is not a bad place if you are patient -- A types don't do well there -- but what the hey your on vacation relax.

Lou-

Perfect Synopsis.
Couldn't have said it better.

Jeff.

They replaced 3 managers in mid October when I was there. Maybe it is getting better now. Ever since Wyndham took over they have been cutting staff, perhaps they have finally noticed they need to service the guest more not just make the place look pretty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom