Cozumel Rental Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeltaWardog:
In my introduction thread I was warned away from BCD/reg rental in Cozumel. Does anyone know the quality of Dive with Martin's rental gear? That's the shop we're considering for our trip, but want to make sure the gear is up to snuff. We can't afford to buy our own BCDs and regs just yet.

Have you emailed Dive With Martin and asked for information about their gear? Brands, models, if they have your size, how old the stuff is, etc? Find out what they offer then go to a local shop that carries the same lines and try the BCD on, check out the reg, etc. DWM has a good reputation. They've been around a long time and get lots of repeat business. If I was a new diver without any gear, the fact that they are reasonably priced, get consistently good reviews, and their packages include all the gear would make it very attractive and worthwhile to email or call them and ask some questions.

Renting gear from your LDS is all well and fine, but it's in no way a guarantee that the equipment will be 100% for the duration of your trip. Those of us who own our own gear know that even a just serviced reg can have issues, or a power inflator can stick, a buckle can break, etc. If you do decide to rent from an LDS just keep in mind that things can still go wrong and it will be up to you to deal with them while in Cozumel.

DeltaWardog:
In my introduction thread I was warned away from BCD/reg rental in Cozumel. Does anyone know the quality of Dive with Martin's rental gear?
My last trip with that particular dive op was about 3 years ago, but at that time the rental gear looked good, as did their boats.

My experience is that one can tell a lot about a dive op by just looking at their boats.

Well maintained boats, well maintained rental gear, well maintained tanks, and a well run operation often go together.

Stop listening to the "you're risking your life using rental gear" crowd, use DWM's rental gear, and enjoy your trip.

Charlie Allen

mattboy:
I suspect that most of the dive ops are renting equipment to a large percentage of their clientele. I don't know what percentage, but I bet it's pretty high. So, I imagine it's pretty safe. Most regs are pretty reliable these days, so I wouldn't be too worried about that. It's more of a comfort issue; wetuit fit would be the biggest concern, followed by BC fit, and to a lesser extent, BC design.

I think it depends on the shop. The big-boat resort based operators, possibly half their clients are using rental gear. The cruise ship excursion operator, about 85%. The small, boutique operators, few and far between are using rental gear.

I dive with a small, top-tier dive op and in all my trips with them I have only once had a diver on the boat with rental gear and that was a newly certified kid.

Almost everywhere you go in the Caribbean you'll see Scubapro and Sherwood as the dominant rental gear. They have BCD and reg models designed for the shop rental market that are durable and easy to maintain. Shops that don't have a lot of rental demand might have some older stuff. But if you rely on rentals then you shouldn't have any expectations beyond getting a BCD that doesn't leak and has a functional power inflator, a reg that is breathable and doesn't free flow, a set of fins that fit your feet and a mask that you can see out of that doesn't leak too badly. High-end shops or new ones would probably have the best gear but they might not be affordable for everyone.

I did email DWM and they said they have Sherwin Luna and Avid BCDs, and Sherwood Brut regs. They also said they just bought 15 new sets this year, so we should be able to get new gear from them.

My research indicates that the BCDs are decent and the Brut reg is, well a rental reg that is very basic but works. I'm not too worried. The best part is that the Avids have the same type of integrated weight system we trained on. Removing weights in a bad situation was my primary concern for my wife, but I think she'll be fine with this one.

As for the 2 week trip with only 4 days diving, what can I say we are new divers. I'm sure our priorities will be straight on our next trip. :wink:

Our cert dive is at Blue Hole in NM, so we are renting 7mm suits for that. We are going to the LDS' giant scuba sale a couple days before we leave for Cozumel, and I intend to pick up a lycra skin for both of us, or a full 3mm if they are cheap enough and fit well.

Thanks everyone for your input!

DeltaWardog:
I did email DWM and they said they have Sherwin Luna and Avid BCDs, and Sherwood Brut regs. They also said they just bought 15 new sets this year, so we should be able to get new gear from them.

My research indicates that the BCDs are decent and the Brut reg is, well a rental reg that is very basic but works. I'm not too worried. The best part is that the Avids have the same type of integrated weight system we trained on. Removing weights in a bad situation was my primary concern for my wife, but I think she'll be fine with this one.

As for the 2 week trip with only 4 days diving, what can I say we are new divers. I'm sure our priorities will be straight on our next trip. :wink:

Our cert dive is at Blue Hole in NM, so we are renting 7mm suits for that. We are going to the LDS' giant scuba sale a couple days before we leave for Cozumel, and I intend to pick up a lycra skin for both of us, or a full 3mm if they are cheap enough and fit well.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Use the DWM rental gear for your 4 diving days. That's standard Sherwood rental gear and actually newer models of it. Wouldn't make sense to rent for 2wks at home and haul the gear around if you are only diving for 4 days. If you or your wife are not comfortable with integrated weights then ask for a weight belt. They'll have them and it shouldn't be a problem. It's going to be your first ocean diving experience so go with what you are most comfortable with. And make sure to tell the shop that these are your first dives so they can put you with a beginner group and DMs that will know you might need a little extra attention.

Having your own wetsuit is a great idea. Its nice to have your own mask too so you know it fits you well. If you think you'll be doing any snorkeling consider getting a mask, fins and snorkel. Doesn't take up much room and then you won't need to waste the $10-12/day renting it if you do want to snorkel.

Have a great trip!

We did buy our own masks, fins, snorkels, boots, emergency strobes, dive sausages, line cutters, slates, DAN membership, DAN tags ($20 for a little plastic tag is ridiculous btw).... yikes! That's why we can't afford anything else. :wink: We went into this hoping to spend about $1200 to get certified and go diving. We're already up to about $2000 and have yet to book the actual dives.

I have a feeling it will all be worth it. :D

DeltaWardog:
In my introduction thread I was warned away from BCD/reg rental in Cozumel. Does anyone know the quality of Dive with Martin's rental gear? That's the shop we're considering for our trip, but want to make sure the gear is up to snuff. We can't afford to buy our own BCDs and regs just yet.

If you do NOT have personal gear, buy it (wetsuit, fins, booties, mask). A leaky ill fitting mask can ruin a dive faster than any other gear outside of a BC or Reg failure.

If you need to rent gear, no problem. Here on scubaboard we tend to be fanatics. However the majority of the diving world dives a few days a year, and does NOT own their gear.

I'd highly recommend BlueXTSea, but there are a lot of good DiveOPS in Coz. I'd talk to the OPS that you are looking into, and ask them point blank how often they service equipment, how old it is, even maybe what Manufacture, and type of equipment they use.

Coz has a VERY good safety record based on the fact it maybe the number one diving destination in the world.

RonFrank:
Coz has a VERY good safety record based on the fact it maybe the number one diving destination in the world.

I was interested in your comment. Where is the source of your information re: safety record?

I have been watching this thread with interest after YEARS of hearing that WE HERE do not have decent equipment........I totally agree with checking out the equipment of the dive op with whom you are diving and if you don't like it, either move on or get them to change it to something you feel comfortable with. HOWEVER, the recommendations about bringing LDS equipment here instead of renting are making me laugh today----------I just had a father-daughter team here for a week of certs and they brought their LDS rented stuff rented at a reputable place in Boulder Colorado..........guess what.......neither depth gauge worked.........we did the certs from the boat and I could NOT figure out why they could not execute a safety stop.......UNTIL I went and compared my computer to their gauges..........both were off by ten feet and ON LAND they registered as being ten feet down........so please make sure that SOMEONE has checked your equipment if you rent it in the USA and maybe give us a chance here to rent you stuff that we use and service and CHECK every day............just my two cents.........Betsy

crispos:
I was interested in your comment. Where is the source of your information re: safety record?
:hmmm:

Betsy, I'd bet the rental equipment there is every bit as good as typical rental equipment in the US. The main reason I suggest taking rental equipment from home is that the renter/diver should have had opportunities to dive the gear in a pool at home, better - to rent the gear they trained in. My suggestions may be excessive, tho...?

I have seen cases in which a large customer was given the best BC they had, but it just wasn't really adequate - you know how newbies often need extra weight to get down, then need a big BC to float on the surface?

Still - regardless of where you rent gear, I still suggest that only a fool would dive the sea without a safety sausage - just so much easier to find you in waves with one up. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom