cozumel shore dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HeatCker

Contributor
Reaction score
my son is currently taking his open water cert.
i'd like to go to coz with him next year, maybe in april or may.
i know of scuba club and blue angel, what other resorts have shore diving as part of the package
i think a combination of boat and shore diving would be a great starter trip for him
thanks guys

This topic has been the subject of several long and detailed discussions in the past year. My advice is to search for them and read them. They are recent enough to not be outdated and lots of good info there that the authors may not care to keep repeating.
Quick answer for oceanfront hotels with decent shore dives: Villa Aldora, Hotel Barracuda, Hotel Cozumel, Scuba Club, Blue Angel, Villa Blanca, El Cid, and Casa del Mar.

searched earlier and didn't find the link, changed the wording a bit and found the info ... thank you

Dave at Aldora tells me they have one of the best shore dives on the island. I haven't made it up there to take advantage of his invitation to come up and do it yet.

I would think any resort with an onsite dive op would have tanks and would let you go out and explore the shores around their properties, there is just not a lot of coral close to shore in most places, mostly turtle grass and sand flats until you get off shore a ways.

Playa Corona supposedly has a very good shore dive, but you have to set it up with the onsite DM, possibly the day before.

not just shore diving "around" Blue Angel is good, but that entire stretch from El Cid up to Blue Angel is a nice shore dive. The area from Blue Angel South (Hotel Villablanca area), South to El Cid La Ceiba, is a little hidden gem. Just finding a place to get in and out is a little bit of a challenge.

Aldora Wall is a decent shore dive. I wouldn't call it "better" than Blue Angel or Hotel Barracuda but it may be easier. The "wall" is the shoreline and only 10-15' deep so you don't have to swim around much. Easy entry, tanks available to grab anytime. There is no kiosk or vendor booth so you have to be staying there.

Never tried Playa corona but having to set it up the day before kills the whole point of shore diving for me. Sure I like saving money but the main reason I shore dive is the flexibility to do it or not do it at anytime. We might tentatively plan to shore dive tomorrow afternoon but who knows? When we get back to the dock after the morning dives we might decide to shore dive then while we're still wet, or have lunch and take a nap first, or it's a margarita kind of afternoon instead.

I know it's been said before, but can't say enough nice things about Scuba Club! Great value for the price & a fantastic group of people. My wife & I are headed back in December for our 3rd stay with them. Always a pleasure being there!!

One thing I like about Blue angel is the easy entry and exit. Lots to see around the sting ray pen. Also they have bathrooms, shower, and rinse tank. Another option is having lunch there or after the dive stay for the happy hour and or dinner. Dive is shallow so great for BT and for new divers to get familiar with their gears.

Blue Angel is one of my favorite shore dives. If the current isn't too swift, I can make it to the top of Via Blanca wall (where the big buoy is) from the shore. Otherwise I slowly meander north with the current and discovery a variety of creatures in the sea grass and on the sand. Occasionally I'll find some fishing tackle left behind. I'll salvage the lure and lead for friends on the island who fish, then take the hook with fishing line and discard it when I get out at the public beach by the ferry pier.

This summer I did a week long trip with Dive Paradise, staying across the street at Hotel Cozumel. We did several night dives right off the dock at DP, and they were all very nice. There were lots of eels, rays, and octopus on each of the dives.

Blue Angel is one of my favorite shore dives. If the current isn't too swift, I can make it to the top of Via Blanca wall (where the big buoy is) from the shore. Otherwise I slowly meander north with the current and discovery a variety of creatures in the sea grass and on the sand. Occasionally I'll find some fishing tackle left behind. I'll salvage the lure and lead for friends on the island who fish, then take the hook with fishing line and discard it when I get out at the public beach by the ferry pier.
Where do you get out when you meander North? Are there lots of good places? I've only gone South against the current so I could easily get back to BA or Gone in at Villablanca and come out at BA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom