Cozumel shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several years ago we suited up all our gear, grabbed a taxi from in front of Scuba Club and dropped in about 1 mile (??) south of there just as the sun set. We navigated along in the current at about 25 ft. until we found the Scuba Club pier... home! We saw all kinds of creatures, lots of squid and octo. It was so fun we did it again the next night but started a little later. Its a very fun night dive. Just make sure the current isn't going south (very unusual) or non-existent as you'd have a long swim and you don't want to be on the surface due to all the boat traffic.
You can't do that any more since they put in the new ferry dock at the lighthouse. That is, unless you want to drift past that pier and risk getting chopped to pieces.

I did not see anyone mention a dive at Playa las Casitas, did I?

It's a great shore dive in Cozumel (compared to what else is available, that is). Enter the water at Cafe del Mar (roughly across from the naval base). As you swim from shore make a heading towards the buoys. Note the current strength and direction.

After Hurricane Wilma, the large chunks of concrete removed from the destroyed Puerta Maya pier were placed in this area to create an artificial reef. This was in 2005. To date there isn't much growth on them. It's mostly just an odd experience seeing large square chunks of concrete in the water. Anyway, swimming past these concrete chunks you can reach the shipwreck of the Laguna de Mandinga, an 85 foot (26 meters) long Mexican navy patrol ship. It sits in about 40 feet of water and is positioned with her bow pointed north. It is marked by two mooring balls; the stern, is marked by a red ball, and white mooring ball is attached to her bow. There is starting to be decent sponge growth on the ship, and lots of "critters" have settled in. On my last dive here I found a large sea horse swimming across the open sand just east of the ship. At the stern of the ship is a pile of rubble rock.This is the old section of Paradise Reef that was removed to make room for Carnival Cruise's pier at Puerta Maya. I believe the rock was moved here in early 2014. It has solid growth on it. Drifting past the rubble brings you to a second shipwreck, the Laguna de Pátzcuaro. It is/was a 42 foot Mexican patrol boat.

I should note the current here is most often running north to south (different than the typical Cozumel south to north current). At times the current can be STRONG. A strong south current can push you into the travel paths of the passenger ferries. Thus make sure to use compass headings and head towards shore once the current has blown you past the second ship. Once off the shipwrecks / artificial reef it becomes mostly sea grass so no reason to hunt for more structure. Also do not make this dive without a large, bright surface marker buoy. Did I mention strong currents are possible?

How far from shore? In most places it's quite a ways to get to 40'. Can you see the first ship's mooring balls easily from shore? How far is the second ship from the first? I presume it's south of the first ship? What is your usual exit point?

You can't do that any more since they put in the new ferry dock at the lighthouse. That is, unless you want to drift past that pier and risk getting chopped to pieces.

Although I would agree that safety is always the utmost concern, I think it's hyperbole to say he will be "chopped to pieces." One could easily swim wide of the pier, say 30-35 feet of depth (even 25 feet as originally noted, is adequate), and have it be little concern. Likewise, TransCaribe has their schedule posted online. A diligent diver could easily plan their dive schedule around any arrival and departures. It is not uncommon for me to take my divers on the VillaBlanca reef. It's quite a beautiful reef, actually, although we do it between 40-70 feet.

How far from shore? In most places it's quite a ways to get to 40'. Can you see the first ship's mooring balls easily from shore? How far is the second ship from the first? I presume it's south of the first ship? What is your usual exit point?

I'd guess you are less than 100 yards surface swim to the concrete pier blocks, with the ships just another 50 yards from there. If needed there is a buoy at the concrete you can not only aim for, but hold onto to rest before submerging. Once to the blocks I'd submerge and begin my dive.

You can easily see the mooring balls from shore.

You will see the second ship while still on the rubble. They tied all 3 structures together in a tight string. Yes, south of first ship so current should take you right to it. You won't have to look for it.

A usual exit point is literally anywhere along that shoreline. It's all hard pack sand and flat, albeit sharp-edged limestone so you can easily walk out with booties. I do try, if possible, to aim for the public boat launch, however.

Before doing this dive the first time it might be wise to grab a SMB and snorkel gear and swim over it just to get your bearings straight. Wont take you but 15-20 minutes swim out, look around, and swim back. Then you'll be confident of what the plan is from there.

IMG_1334.jpg
Are these the concrete sections you are referring to?

View attachment 417935 Are these the concrete sections you are referring to?

Yes, that appears to be them. Or at least that is the area they are located. I'm a bit surprised you are unable to see the ships at depth from that image.

I'll try to run past there and snap a topside picture in the coming days so you can see the buoys, etc.

Yes, that appears to be them. Or at least that is the area they are located. I'm a bit surprised you are unable to see the ships at depth from that image.

I'll try to run past there and snap a topside picture in the coming days so you can see the buoys, etc.

Thank you very much! I'm going to be down there next month and this sounds like an intriguing dive.

Thank you very much! I'm going to be down there next month and this sounds like an intriguing dive.

It's certainly better than sitting at the beach :wink:

The ships are not in the picture. They will be pretty much above the ferry on the left side and in the sandy area. We do this dive a lot. Entry at cafe Del Mar and exit back to cafe Del Mar.

danntdevon.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom