Cozumel, thank the Congress...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OSUcowboyinSPFD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
They just gave a $600 per individual rebate to the vast majority of people in the US who can afford to dive. I intend to stimulate the US economy by going to Cozumel.

I will do my part to stimulate the US economy by buying the datatrans computer right here in SouthernFlorida.(lol)

They just gave a $600 per individual rebate to the vast majority of people in the US who can afford to dive. I intend to stimulate the US economy by going to Cozumel.

That will pay our air fare and a couple of days diving. Cool.

I'm sure there's a news story or something this is referring too . .. anyone care to explain?

From what I understand, it would have been more until it was sent to Congress for approval. Congress took the $800 proposal and knocked it down to $600 so they could also provide a tax rebate to those who don’t pay taxes (welfare recipients). They are supposed to get back about $300.

I got shafted... THANKS CONGRESS!

I love paying 80k in taxes every year and getting nothing back. I love paying all that money and watching my worthless in-laws get $4000 back from the government when they paid NOTHING!

I'm sorry for making good sound decisions in my life. I should of had 5 kids before I was 18 and dropped out of high school to work a minimum wage job the rest of my life. I should have sat on my rear and expected the government to take care of everything.

The government in this country is nothing but a bunch of bastards that reward stupidity and irresponsibility.

That's ok... this year I'm going to employ my kids and reduce my exposure to good ole Uncle Sam. Screw them all... We'll see what happens to all the "social programs" in this country when there isn’t any high paying jobs left to pay for them.

Let the good ole Dems win the White House and jack up taxes even more. I'll start seriously looking at moving my business offshore.

We don't manufacture anything here anymore... we are a "service" based economy now. Since we don't produce anything it makes it MUCH easier for companies to just move their HQ's offshore and do business here (see current offshore of back office operations to India). Once they jack the taxes up, the companies will break for the border... there goes the “service” jobs.

We are competing against 3rd world countries that have NO social program safety nets. The battle was over before it even began... but hey it's the GLOBAL ECONOMY!!! LET'S CREATE MORE SOCIAL PROGRAMS!!!!

Well, I teach (and do research in) macroeconomics at a business school, and I have to tell you that only about 20-30% of the rebates go towards increasing consumption expenditures. The rest go towards "saving" (paying off debt); hence, these are really election year knee-jerk responses to an economic downturn, if that.
Also, if you spend some part of that money in Cozumel you would be importing a service.

Unfortunately, I do not qualify for the rebate, but will go to Coz with my family and plan to spend a ton of money regardless!

Back
Top Bottom